Off topic: 4x4

ptt

Are there any 4x4 guru's on our Forum?? We have taken over one of our twins' 2004 Ford F250 truck. After driving it back from Detroit to KCMO I noticed that it was leaking gear oil from the passengerside outer axel end of the front differential.

appears to be the oil seal. The seal is pretty much gone with part of it seperated from where it seats to the axle housing so its not being driven. Having never worked on a 4x4 before Im jumping into a OJT situation. I realize I need to remove the axle from the differential but dont know if I need to remove the diff. inspection plare or if the axles just knuckle into the spider gears? And of course anything else I need to be aware of! Any help appreciated. (The wife really likes driving it so she leaves my Reattas alone!!! SOOOOO.....Im motivated to get it fixed needless to say!!!!!)

(Preface to say that I don't know much about Ford trucks.) Since you have a F250 (3/4 ton), does the truck have a full-floating or a semi-floating rear axle? Typically full-floating axles are provided with the largest engine/towing options. Procedures are different, depending on which one.

Reading up on it a bit, it looks like Dana 60 in front is right. Apparently they also put a full-floater "Sterling" axle in the rear of all F250s of that era. Nice, because GM has been known to use semi-floaters in some of their 3/4 ton trucks - depending on the towing capacity of the specific trucks options (engine size, axle ratios, etc.)

I can't help you with the seal leak. But the Dana 60 has been around for ages. Lots of google hits...