Mold removal

FourDoorBoris

Boris

you can get products such as Microban or an anti microbial called Sporicidian or sporicide (I am not sure of the sporicide's correct name but can get it for you on Monday. They are safe to use on textiles and would work well for you. Our company does restoration work (on houses not cars) and we use those products from time to time.

Send me a private message and I can get you more info.

Shoe

• 2 weeks later...

Forget all of your fancy mould removers.

On any porous surface the best product is white vinegar. Not the cheap imitation but pure distilled white vinegar. The local supermarket should sell it.

Do not scrub the mould. Simply spray it on and leave it. Generally a 70 to 80% solution with water will work but I prefer to use it straight.

On the seats, spray it in a hidden area first. I've not known vinegar to damage any material, but it's wise to be safe.

The vinegar will kill the mould. Once the mould is dead you can simply wipe away any trace.

Boris

Good luck with the mold removal. I agree with the other guys that the mold scare was a joke for the most part (and I am in the industry). I dont even use the word mold around customers; I prefer mildew. I recommended Sporicidin because it is what we have used on everything from expensive wool carpets to silk garments. I feel confident that it will not do any harm to the upholstery and furthermore, it makes the mold disappear rather than turn brown. I figured that you might want the moldy or mildewy areas to be free of stains and free of mold at the end of the cleaning. Vinegar is cheaper and more readily available. It also can be purchased just about anywhere. Sporicidin is usually only sold in gallons and at more specialized stores. I have never used vinegar on any of my vehicles so I hope that Lozrocks is correct about the vinegar not damaging the upholstery. I agree that a wise move would be to do a test spot first.

Happy cleaning!

• 5 months later...

I tried the vinigar route with several NOS plastic arm rest bases and it destroyed the color.

I wound up with grey bases when they started out gold colr. Obviously the color was not through the plastic.

I am now facing the same problem with some NOS pieces for a 1955 Plymouth. Parts are brand new but about 1/2 covered with mildew.

However these appear to have the color (bluegreen) as part of the molded plastic and not baked/added/sprayed on after molding.

Dave S.