T 86 Automatic Transmission

Is it posible to install a T 86 automatic transmission with overdrive in a 259 v8 in a 62 Lark. Are there bell housing adaptors available.

In not a T86, is there a different tranny/adaptor with floor shifter that is recommended.

My existing 2 speed is shot and rather than fixing it I would like to have an overdrive unit.

If you want a floor shifter you should look into a T10 four speed or a 5 speed mustang transmission.

You can use a T86 overdrive with a Hurst type shifter also.

A T86 overdrive from a Studebaker should bolt up.

You would have to modify the drive shaft.

Robert Kapteyn

Thanks for the replys, the T86 that is available for sale is a 3 spd automatic with an overdrive already attached. I assume it's an automatic OD, is there some other OD and if so how does one tell the difference? In reading about the T85 it appears it wasn't used in many brands and also for just a few years. It was supposed to be a ruged tranny with a cast iron case so I wondered why it wasn't picked up by more brands. This one comes with an aftermarket floor shifter.

Is there a bell housing adapter available out there that would permit coupling this to a Study 259, are the splines compatable?

Am I in uncharted waters here or has someone already successfully done this?

Thanks, Dick

Guest jlmccuan

The Borg Warner T86 transmission found in Jeep, Studebaker and other makes is a manual transmission. It is available with or without the R10 overdrive attached. It comes in either short or long tailshaft variants.