Carpet question

Paul Falabella

Guest Rob McDonald

It's a confusing photo but your description is clear. I don't know '55s well but that loop pile carpet seems too modern to me. The plush fabric looks like wool mohair, which is very surprising to find in any '50s American car. I thought its automotive use passed out of fashion in the 1940s. Actually, finding a rear compartment footrest is a Classic throwback, too. My Roadmaster is so jealous of your Roadmaster!

Somebody should correct me if I am wrong (please). I would think it was originally a rubber mat in front and Daytona weave in the back on a Special. This is merely an educated guess as I am not familiar with 1953 authenticity. I do know that the loop pile sold by advertisers in the Bugle is not correct.

I recall many many years ago, Pete Phillips telling me he had a '53 Roadmaster with original carpet in it and that it was Daytona Weave. I'm thinking Daytona Weave ran from '53 thru '56.
Joe,

When I restored my 55 Special, I installed Daytona Weave front and back. Carpet was an option in front so it shouldn't be a judging issue. I believe earlier Buicks had a cut pile, but not sure what year that stopped. Hopefully a 53 expert will jump in...

Pete!!!????

Guest Rob McDonald

While we're at it, how would one describe the carpets in '57 and '58 Roadmasters and Limiteds? It's cut pile, quite long (1/2"-ish) and very soft. I've described it as teddy bear fur. It doesn't have the sparkle of nylon pile. It seems to wear pretty well, although it did usually fade. I've never seen it in another type of car, nor have I ever found reproductions of it. What the heck is it?

Guest Rob McDonald
The original carpet in a 55 is called Daytona weave

Just curious: is that the same carpet as was used in '53 Skylarks? The ACC site doesn't show it clearly. The Skylark stuff isn't really carpet in the familiar sense - it's more of a very heavy, densely woven canvas-like fabric. Quite attractive and wears like iron.

NEVER MIND. I Googled a bit further and found lots of Daytona weave images. It is a normal, tight loop pile carpet. Anyone know what the mat in a Skylark is called - or must I Google that, too?

Y'all are too slow. "carpeting was likewise special -- a needlepoint style, vulcanized to a sponge rubber base". Sheesh, I've gotta do everything around here!

Edited by Rob McDonald
whining (see edit history)

Just curious: is that the same carpet as was used in '53 Skylarks? The ACC site doesn't show it clearly. The Skylark stuff isn't really carpet in the familiar sense - it's more of a very heavy, densely woven canvas-like fabric. Quite attractive and wears like iron.

NEVER MIND. I Googled a bit further and found lots of Daytona weave images. It is a normal, tight loop pile carpet. Anyone know what the mat in a Skylark is called - or must I Google that, too?

Y'all are too slow. "carpeting was likewise special -- a needlepoint style, vulcanized to a sponge rubber base". Sheesh, I've gotta do everything around here!

...and they say you are half crazy when you talk to yourself...completely crazy when you answer yourself back.:P

Now to add some confusion. There are at least 2 carpet materials that are similar to Daytona: Roxpoint and Grospoint. Grospoint is apparently correct for early Corvettes. Roxpoint is what some vendors (Jenkins) insisted was correct for a 55. Get some samples of Daytona from ACC (post 3 above).

Willie

Guest Rob McDonald

Roxpoint. That's what was used in '53 Skylarks. There was a question in another Cad-LaSalle forum, asking whether it was used in '53 Coupe de Villes also. There was no subsequent answer in the thread but it was described as, "like a woven burlap without a pile". That's about right. It is nice stuff but I have no idea what other applications it's had.