What to do for my 1937 Pontiac.

Guest inlineNmine

Guest inlineNmine

I have a 1937 Pontiac Coupe. It sits in my barn because I am unable to find a transmission to replace the original 3 speed that threw a gear through the bottom. Now I am considering buying a 292 Chevy 6 with a T5 to replace my original motor and trans; or trying to find out what transmission would bolt up to my good running original 322 straight six. I like to drive on the freeway, so I am really trying to find a gearbox that would suit this desire. What would you do in my situation? P.s. I wont be placing a 350/350 combo in it, so please don't suggest it. Thanks for any advice inlineNmine. I have received new advice that I could take a later model Pontiac 5 bolt top transmission 39-55; and use i with my original 5 bolt cover and floor shifter; can anyone second this new info?

i don't think your original straight six is a 322. i'm very glad to read your statement about a 350/350 combo. i look in my 1954 pontiac master parts catalog, it seems that your 3 speed gearbox is different than what pontiac used from 1940 to 1948. the chevy 292 six is a good engine, but the 1966-1969 pontiac overhead cam six with the T5 transmission would be much better. a pontiac straight eight and 3 speed trans are fun to drive. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest inlineNmine

I know that the 36 transmissions should fit, I just cant remember if its 35 or 36 when they changed the transmission design mid year. Also, (Pontiac 1953) my straight six is actually a 223, i must have been thinking about my 322 nailhead. I do like the thought of a straight six OHC pontiac motor, It's just been awhile since I have seen one around my neck of the woods. I have emailed the seller on ebay to see if they know whether or not it will work on my 37. I hope so.