1982 Convertible $1800 FARGO

Guest BJM

I think that's going to cost more money to restore than it will ever be worth. I just don't see many 80's cars ever really being worth all that much. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

I think that's going to cost more money to restore than it will ever be worth. I just don't see many 80's cars ever really being worth all that much. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

I agree, but as previously discussed, the ability to recoup money isn't the primary reason for the hobby. I posted, as it's a rare desirable 80's Riviera. For someone trying to round out their collection and wants to restore one.

From a previous topic on here, I know I am not likely to purchase an 82-83 Convertible. That's why the forum is so helpful. But if cut the price a bit further, maybe, upon close inspection I might.

Let's give them the 40 year span to see how they are valued before we judge. For me they are the years I like. In this "business" of old cars there are many thoughts of what one will do or spend on them. I never intended on buying any of my cars with the thought, can I get out of it what I put in it. I just love and enjoy having them, working on them, learning more about them and seeing them come to fuition! Everyone wants to judge them but yet I keep seeing them listed in the Riview and online for sale and the ones that aren't trashed are going for a good price.

That's the kind of car I could see getting an LS6, a black paint job, and some mild appearance touches. Its a little far for me to go. As for the money side, I have about $9,000 in my PA convert since the purchase and probably another $3,000 to make me happy. Of course, I ain't right in the head and shouldn't be listened to. Ask my wife.

Bernie

I agree with Jayson. Collecting takes all forms. I was in the market for a "newer" Buick convertible last summer and looked into a couple of 1982-85 Riviera conv. purchases. A running/driving 1990 Reatta convertible showed up 25 miles from my house for $2500 so I bought that one. They made about 2100 1990 Reatta convertibles and I suspect at least 40% of those are gone. Mine has 202,000 miles but has been well taken care of and is a southern car. It will probably never be worth more then $4000, but it's a lot of fun to own and drive.

If I didn't have 8 cars already, I would buy this one. One would have to go out before this one comes in and like I said, I want to check door fitment VERY carefully. I somehow doubt it has 37,000 original miles but it might. Convertibles in poor storage condition can deteriorate quickly. ND is not a huge state for salting roads and a lot of that car looks pretty good to me. A worthwhile project...

Read carefully through as many threads as you can find on this convertible. Find out what problems others are having with theirs. Look for these items when looking to buy. Non working rear windows is a common ailment with these cars, but they can be fixed, Most convertibles I've seen are missing one if not both of the covers for the pivot for the rear seat belts where they attach to the inner panel. Rear seats and rear seat surrounds are one of a kind as are the window switch panel - driver's side only, rear arm rests with window switches. Top seals, top hinges (although I've heard that these were shared with the Pontiac Sunbird convertible but never confirmed,) rear seat frames, and rear seat surrounds are made of unobtainium. Most of the rest of the car shares parts with the coupes and therefore are easily maintained.

I put a new top on mine and it came with a new heated rear glass. I had the upholstery redone. On my '84 I needed to replace door bushings and I then did some paint work on the door edges and body. No tale tell signs of "droppy doors." For any Riviera from this generation look closely at the rear frame sectioin for rust - major rust.

Keep in mind that all of these convertibles were originally coupes that went to ASC for a conversion. To me that means there were very little, if any, spare parts. There is a website devoted to this generation Riviera covertible that has many facts that can help you with maintenance and parts (?)

As far as performance goes, keep in mind that the TH325 is a really weak transmission. An LS6 would shred it, along with the drive axles if the power ever got that far.

They are still sought after and can command a higher price than a coupe if you can find a good one. At the ROA events, the covertibles demand a class of their own for judging purposes. If your seriously looking for one, attend a meet and talk to the owners or contact the owners from the convertible website - Google it, you'll find it.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest merrillcrosbie

At the last ROA meet there were only 2 convertibles, so there was no convertible class. They were lumped in with all 71-85 cars. Pic of Monterey convertibles attached.

post-80272-143139334559_thumb.jpg

post-80272-143139334587_thumb.jpg

post-80272-143139334652_thumb.jpg

I found another ad in the Minneapolis Craigs List that I have seen for at least one year - selling 2 83's for $1500 (2 to make 1). I am sure there is a plentiful supply of nice drivers as these were considered collector cars from the get go. But I hate to see cars go unrestored, but understand that budgetary concerns do not make restorations a wise proposition.

If the mileage is original and it's in mechanically good condition, it could be a good driver. It looks like with a little work it could be fairly nice. Make sure the windows are working though because obviously the passenger side was left down at some point. A red carpet and front bucket isn't a huge deal, but the major factor will be if the back seat is bad which will likely require a reupholster. Being that it's definitely not convertible weather up there I'm sure a good deal could be reached.