'38 lowering Springs

jenz38

[h=2][/h]<ins style="text-decoration: none; display: inline-table; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; height: 250px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 300px; "><ins id="aswift_1_anchor" style="text-decoration: none; display: block; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-width: initial; border-color: initial; height: 250px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 300px; "><iframe allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="250" hspace="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" vspace="0" width="300" id="aswift_1" name="aswift_1" style="left: 0px; position: absolute; top: 0px; "></iframe></ins></ins>

I wanna lower my `38 Special Coupe(since Years) for nearly 2",by ONLY other Springs.

I know from the Fatman 2,5"dropped Spindles,but it's not a Option for me.

Have Anybody an Idea or experience for what for OEM Springs from another Make/Model will match in my '38?

(please remember: '38 was the first Year with Coil Springs in the rear.)

The`69 El Camino Springs ,may be,like for the '52 ?

Any Suggestions would be nice.

Thank's ahead

Edited by jenz38 (see edit history)

Unless someone has had the same desire and done the research/expermentation, you will not find a chart or cross reference for this.

It is pretty much a trial and error experience. Start by measuring the outside diameter of your springs plus the diameter of the wire.

You could make a sheet metal gage for use in measuring springs you find at salvage yards or car shows. It also helps to know the length but that is only available if the springs are out of the car. If you find something that looks similar and you can buy them cheap, switch them out (maybe just one side) and measure the change. Once you have a reference point then you can try cutting off one coil then checking again. Good luck.

Since you say that "Any suggestions would be nice." I have a nice one for you. Take your acetylene torch and apply heat to about 1/3 of the round on the spring coil. Whenever the car squats the amount you are looking for, quit heating and go to the other side. You might go a little at a time and if you get spooked, start heating another round of the coil. And, you can't fix it if you over-do it.

Joel

Thanks Barney and Joel for your suggestions.

We have a Company for making Springs, with the Meassurements from my Manual its not,but, an expencive Problem.

Maybe someone from you US Guys has fixed that Work with Stock Springs from another Model or Make.