Classic Hollywood Stars and Their Cars

Guest Magoo

Here's another fun item, hopefully: famous people and their cars.

Automotive executives, celebrities, musicians, and mainly classic Hollywood stars with all sorts of automobiles. And a few surprises, perhaps.

How many are you able to recognize? Any personal favorites, cars or owners? Hope you enjoy.

Cars and Stars -- A Photo Essay | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

3348761896.jpg

3882253918.jpg

Is this girl famous? I think the car is a Willys Knight[ATTACH=CONFIG]171909[/ATTACH]

yes, Willys-Knight, but I don't recognize the lady. There are probably plenty of clues in the car badges, too, for those with that expertise.

I originally saved this because I have a similar pancake horn I'm trying to identify. That will be in a future post. The lic.plate appears foreign,if anybody can tell what country that might help to identify the girl.

She's dressed to the nines, that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's another fun item, hopefully: famous people and their cars.

Automotive executives, celebrities, musicians, and mainly classic Hollywood stars with all sorts of automobiles. And a few surprises, perhaps.

How many are you able to recognize? Any personal favorites, cars or owners? Hope you enjoy.

Cars and Stars -- A Photo Essay | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

3348761896.jpg

3882253918.jpg

By the way: Clark Gable, who has several cars featured in this story, also owned a '55 Mercedes Gullwing coupe. It reportedly sold (post-gavel) for $1.85 Million at Barrett-Jackson yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nancy DeWitt

Sadly, silent film actor Wallace Reid is all but forgotten, but he was a huge star in the teens and early 20s. Reid collected a number of fine cars and was well-known for his automobile-themed movies. We have one of his McFarlans and wish we could find a photo of him with it. This one of Reid in a 1921 McFarlan Twin Valve Six roadster is from Richard Stanley's book, Custom Built by McFarlan.

post-58418-143141742141_thumb.jpg

Kevin Triplett wrote an interesting article called "The Roots of Hollywood and Auto Racing," which talks about Reid and McFarlans.

Really nice photo collection. One photo I'd like to see, as a former Metropolitan owner, is of Marilyn Monroe in a Metro. Supposedly, when the car first came out, Nash did up a 1954 Metro convertible in pink with pink mink upholstery, and she rode in it in a big parade somewhere (New York City, I believe). Who else but her could pull that off!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest shadowledge

Does anyone know the whereabouts and ownership of Liberace's 1954 Cadillac convertible. It has a piano keys motif on the upholstery.

Howard Hughes with his plane,Akron,Oh. By swi66 on Vintage Shots.

Howard+H.+Hughes+in+Akron.JPG

With all respect Dave, this is not Howard Hughes.

This is Howard Hughes with HIS airplane, the H-1 in about 1935.

http://fly.historicwings.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/HighFlight-H1-8.jpg

post-75225-143143079698_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)