1941 Steering Wheel Production

Keith L.

I’ve been waiting till after the holidays to post. As many of you who have been following my progress know, in my earlier post I said I had a few minor issues to overcome before production. I was optimistic. Some of the minor issues became real head scratchers.

My earlier post outlined my progress and reasoning. See: http://forums.aaca.org/f128/steering-wheel-reproduction-328185.html.

What I want to stress in this post is that I learned along the way that many Zephyr owners were reluctant to get a new wheel for several reasons. The biggest is finding a good ’41 core, and second, waiting for months for your wheel to be recast, sometimes while your beauty sits empty steering-wheelish (my word). That’s over. I’ve tried to make it simple. Buy a new ’41 wheel without sending me a core, keeping your old wheel, or send back to me ANY ’40 thru ’48 good usable wheel for a $75 discount. Using the honor system, deduct now, send a core later using my original Styrofoam packing box your wheel comes in.

The photo “Wheel Harvest” is deceptive: It looks impressive but it’s not. Of the ten wheels shown, six have small “teachable Blemishes” and all six need to be scraped clean and recast. But with each successive pour I was eliminating a potential problem and advancing to my goal, a perfect wheel.

Attached are some photos, promotional flyer and an order form.

Thanks for all your patience.

Keith Lee

knobsoup@gmail.com

post-31184-143139329046_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143139329052_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143139329058_thumb.jpg

Knobsoup_Full Page Ad.pdf

1941 Steering Wheel flyer.pdf

Order form '41 steering Wheel.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice comment. Next up on my steering wheel project list is the '40 wheel. I've got a restored wheel almost finished to make a mold. Then I'll work on the "42 through '48 wheel. The '42 wheel uses the same mold as the '46-'48, only the color changes. I don't think I'll do any of the banjo wheels. One, I don't have a nice '39 restored wheel to mold from and two, I don't want to restore the center metal hub and spokes. just want to play with plastics.

• 2 months later...
Guest zazothex

Keep us updated when you get the postwars planned to pour. I'll take one. Also, I have a couple of spare wheels ('46 & '48) if you need them for additional molds or whatever.

• 10 years later...