63 steering rag joint replacement?!?

Guest slacker1965

Guest slacker1965

sooo, I was going to use a 65 rag joint to replace my broken one on my current 63 project...the rub is that the 65 has 2 set screws & the 63 has one. the 63 seems to either be rusted on the shaft or pressed on or just trusting the one on the box.....I have it soaking as we speak. I'm not above using my spare tilt 65 column, but if I do this, are there any problems associated with mixing up the years? neither column has a bearing or bushing on the bottom of the column....is this correct?

thanks

ks

Guest slacker1965
OK Kevin: Find a new rag joint. I don't know where, but unless you are stuck on the side of the road and that's the only way in the world to get home go new. Mitch

ok mitch ,new is the way to go, it is a steering component after all....my question(s) are how to get the old one off the column, is it splined or pressed on? I do have it soaking.... Is there anything bad about using a 65 column in a 63? I am still trying to get the car where it can move around save for me pushing it. my 47 year old back is sore enuf ;)

Those "HELP" bubble pack parts used to have a GM rag joint. I think they differentiated between '64 and '65. I could never see a difference which ever one ended up on my Riviera is fine.

There are a couple of interfering pins that prevent losing complete control if the joint fails. I've had some Caddies come in with bad one. The steering is real loose and feels like driving a Ford.

Bernie

Guest slacker1965
I have a new rag joint on the shelf for your car. It should be splined on the steering gear. It will just bolt to the column. Pm me if your interested.

that's one of my questions, my 65 column bolts to both, but the 63 column has no bolt on the column side....I am soaking it, it is either rusted on or pressed on?

thanks

kevin

I thnk I remember this correctly, but when I pulled the tilt colmun from one of the '63 parts cars I had, there was one bolt on the column side that was tightened against the flat side of a D shaped end of the column. I don't remember that end being splined. That's been a few months ago, and right now, I'm now sure what I had for dinner last night so I could be wrong. I do remember having to turn the wheel to get to the one bolt though.

Ed

I'm not sure if the Riv is the same but I just replaced the rag joint on my 63 Olds. It only had splines on the gear side and was riveted to the column, I had to cut it off with a disc. You can buy a generic rebuild kit at NAPA. Check my thread in Our Cars and Restorations for some pictures.

Guest slacker1965
Can you email me a picture of your column? my email is danjones@larescorp.com. I'm not 100% on the column side is why I ask.

e sent....no visible bolt or rivet.....i guess its either rusted on splines or pressed on. if NAPA has a generic rebuild kit that may be the easiest way to go. maybe this is a early prod car?

thanks for your time

In case you guys haven't put 2 + 2 together yet, Dan at the Lares Corporation is the guru for steering stuff. He's been advertising in the Riview and has been a supporter of the ROA for many years. If he answers a question for you, you know you've got the right answer.

If any of you first gen Riv guys want to update your steering box to a quick ratio box, Dan's the Man with the solution.

Here's a link to their website. Lares Corporation

Ed

Guest Steeleco

If the steering rag joint has never been changed in a 1963 Riviera, is there a reason it should be checked out in regards to safety?

Guest slacker1965
e sent....no visible bolt or rivet.....i guess its either rusted on splines or pressed on. if NAPA has a generic rebuild kit that may be the easiest way to go. maybe this is a early prod car?

thanks for your time

tyvm for your help.....I was focused on changing the whole unit & you saved me a bunch of trouble & some $$$$ for on my '63.

NAPA pn#630-1012 will fit the bill nicely.

I'm gonna do the brakes while the column is out. but in the meanwhile, paying jobs have pushed this project back a few days.

I think that every part of the steering & brakes should be regularly inspected & maintained..esp in a 50yr old car.

btw this NAPA part was made in china....looks like a piece of truck tire sidewall to me.....

thanks all for your comments & help.....I hope to be in the market for a quick ratio box when I do up my '65 project :)

I think I bought two or three Lares rebuilt boxes from Lares in the 1990's. Those pre-computer days when you read every page in Hemmings and a search engine was a symptom of a bad fuel pump leather (hesitate and search for power).

At the time I had seen too many pitman arm shaft seal replacements fail shortly after installation. I made it a policy to replace the 40-50 year old box instead of the seal. At the time we could swap out a box for around $350 with labor. No returns and a noticable difference on most.

Bernie

If the steering rag joint has never been changed in a 1963 Riviera, is there a reason it should be checked out in regards to safety?

Yes it should be checked for safety reasons. If the material is bad the coupler could only be holding your steering together by the saftey pins. Ill attach a picture of a good rag joint to give you an idea of what they should look like. The material around the bolts or rivits can fail over time.

post-84610-143139331393_thumb.jpg

post-84610-143139331369_thumb.jpg

post-84610-143139331382_thumb.jpg

Edited by dan@larescorp
add some things (see edit history)

Yes it should be checked for safety reasons. If the material is bad the coupler could only be holding your steering together by the saftey pins. Ill attach a picture of a good rag joint to give you an idea of what they should look like. The material around the bolts or rivits can fail over time.

That's how mine was, it had almost an inch of play and the car wandered pretty bad. There should be no play at all if the joint is good.