65 Rivi console

Guest puceriver

Guest puceriver

I removed my console today and found a few of the plastic holes are broken and cracked. What would be the best way to repair them? I also was wondering if there is supposed to be a dip in the passanger side of the console. Mine has a slight verticle dip that the chrome trim peice does not conform to. Looking at it from the inside does not show any stress or burn marks of any kind.

Thanks Kevin

I had to repair a couple of cracks in my console and used fiber glass cloth and resin which is available at your local auto parts store or even Home Depot. Apply the resin on the back side of the console and then work the cloth into it. You might want to make the piece of cloth at least an inch larger all the way around the crack. It wouldn't hurt to let it cure and then add a second layer. I used a little body filler on the outside of the console to cover the crack and then painted the whole console. I have used the same process to repair cracked fan shrouds. I am not sure where you are referring the slight vertical dip in the console but let me know a more precise area and I will look at mine again.

If you can't get that fixed, I have a bare '65 console that I'd sell. Just like every other 1st generation console, the ends of the tabs on the front are broken off. Otherwise, it's in really good shape. (I've never had a problem leaving these tabs "as is." There are enough other hold downs that keep the console in place with out them.) Mine is black but they can be painted. I can send you pictures if you'll email me.

Ed

Guest REX STALLION

Okay, I`ll chime in, I used G-flex epoxy by West System reinforced with fiberglass matte . I made replacement tabs (Plexiglass or Lexan will do) from an old consul that was beaten to death. The G-flex will bend and twist( unlike polyester resin that is brittle) so forcing those little tabs under the dash wont cause a break to your repair. Not the only way but it worked well for me.

• 2 weeks later...