16 way seat problem

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

I was cleaning out the Reatta today and I ran the seat forward, I normally have as far back as it will go. When I tried to move the seat back to a more upright position I heard and felt a CLUNK in both directions. I put my hand under the seat and could feel a worm gear that is vertical and when I moved the switch the motor rocks back and forth about three eights of an inch, seat back does not move. It looks like this is a drivers seat removal to fix, yes? Is it a PITA for someone who has a couple of ratchet sets and regular household tools? It looks like a two man job to remove and re-install in the car.

Thank's

Richard.

Guest Mc_Reatta

It's not a hard job at all provided the hardware isn't rusted and you can get the seat to move enough to get access to the front and rear nuts. Sounds like this may be a problem in your case. There is a plastic cover at the end of the track rail in each corner attached to the rail with a Phillips head screw. These are removed to get access to the nuts that hold the seat to the studs coming up from the floor. Don't forget to separate the two power cables underneath and there is an elastic cord that holds the inner end of the seat belt to the seat bottom so it doesn't get lost when the seat is moved forward and back. Just lifts up and then work out the door. While not exactly light, shouldn't be too heavy for you to handle alone.

The motors deliver power via cables and gears for the various functions. Sounds like something has come loose in your case.

Guest Richard D

Thank's I just looked again with a flashlight. The motor is mounted vertically and has a flex shaft to the other side of seat. The top of the motor will rock back and forth at least an inch, so I think that the mounting torx bolts for the motor have come loose. I will remove all the plastic trim tomorrow when I can see. At least there is no rust on the seat mounting bolts. The joys of owning a 23 year old car.:) I am sure that when I fix this my 71 Skylark vert will develop some horrible problem, for the last 2 years all it asked for was oil and filter changes.

Richard, When I first got my Reatta I remember having to pull both my seats and play with the wiring and the motors underneath. The seats are heavy and your body is in a poor position to lift them but if your careful it's a one-man job. What I did was to label all the wire connections so that I reattached the correct wires; also a good time to check all wiring for corrosion, loosness, etc. Good luck.