Applications for '90/'91 Reaetta Horn Buttons

Guest Kingsley

Buttons may be the same size; however, as Dave mentionned, the colors may be different, and the mounting in the steering wheel may be different. I believe I remember Barney describing three different types of mounting the buttons to the steering wheel.

Marck and Jim will probably verify that this design was used in several Buicks as well as Olds. I believe the mounting is the same for the assembly.

The difference is three "engineering levels" of the design. The original part had 2 "hooks" that held the button into the housing. The hooks failed and the buttons would pop out. The interrum fix was "fishing line" that was factory installed until the molds could be changed. The final fix was 2 extra hooks/retainers.

Some owners think they can take a button and install it into their housing from the outside..... this is true but most people that sell the used parts will not sell just the button. If you could find one at the salvage yard, you could just pop in the new/good one. However if you find the final fixed button, it will not go into the original housing...... it will bind and not work.

The attached photo shows the 3 different designs, sorry I did not have 3 for the same side, from the left is the original and it is a left side button, the middle and right are right side buttons.

You can add the fishing line fix to the first design by drilling the two small holes to thread the fishing line into.

post-30596-143139322936_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

Guest steveskyhawk

Premium Reatta parts vendors such as Marck, Mike and myself sell 90-91 Reatta Horn Buttons exactly like the manufacturer did. We sell them as an assembly. To remove and replace a broken horn button on a 90-91 Reatta the air bag MUST be removed. Many inexperienced Reatta owners attempt to replace the visible portion of the button from the front as the above poster suggests. This attempt is never successful. Please feel free to contact your vendor prior to any repair you are unsure of. Quality technical advice is part of being a premium vendor.

Contact information in my signature.

Barney, Do you know when the 4-hook final design was implemented? I was confused by your description; will these assemblies interchange with the first gen design when installed by removing the air bag?

All three designs work in the '90-'91 airbag......... but you must replace the horn button assembly, by removing the airbag and removing the screws for the horn button on the back or inside of the airbag. This is not a difficult job.

What I am trying to put into words......... the part that falls out when the horn button is bad should not be replaced by itself, you need a matching back.

I guess it would be easy to change the steering wheel to the early one at the same time you convert the Teves brakes to non-ABS, put the aftermarket radio in place and add the 22" wheels. Has anyone considered a Toyota OHC 4 cyl engine conversion to get better mileage?:confused:

Thanks Barney. I thought they were all interchangeable but wasn't sure.

I once thought of replacing my steering wheel with one from an '88 or '89, as I think they look nicer, but I didn't want to give up the safety aspect of the air bag and my insurance agent said the company would frown on the idea (meaning my rates would go up).

Thanks Barney. I thought they were all interchangeable but wasn't sure.

I once thought of replacing my steering wheel with one from an '88 or '89, as I think they look nicer, but I didn't want to give up the safety aspect of the air bag and my insurance agent said the company would frown on the idea (meaning my rates would go up).

most insurance companies never see the cars they insure unless theres a wreck.

Guest Kingsley

As it turns out, I did not have to do any sales work. Mr. Bo Ohlund and his wife who live in Hortlax, Sweden, are already four year members of the BCA! Membership 44095.

In addition to the '91 Roadmaster, they also have a 1949 56S.

Kingsley

www.reattaspecialtyparts.com See the Resource Section for the items that I sell.

Guest Squire Tom

hi barney , sage comments , but i think using the drive train from a tbird sc would be more satisfying to Daniel. he could probably figure a way to put a driveline tunnel in the reatta floor pan and a 9 inch ford rear end with a 5 speed manual. i still find it hard to believe so much cheap stuff was used in a 30k $ Buke in the 90's. shoulder belt guides also blew out and dash panel and console and cup holder was flimsy.