1936 buick 40 series window regulator roller question

Guest born2lose

Guest born2lose

I am in the process of rebuilding my window regulators on my 36 buick and I was wondering if anybody knows if they had a plastic rollers on the regulators three roller rivets?? I cannot seem to find any info on these or any rebuilds for them so i wanted to see if anyone had a pic the can send me of what they look like and the dimensions so i can possibly try to find some universal ones that will work on mine.

I don't have any pics but these "rollers" originally had two leather washers each, one would fit inside the slide track and the other on the outside and mostly prevented rattling. As you know, the riveted "rollers" don't roll at all, they just slide. I found a person who made and sold the leather washers and BTW, there are two different inside diameters for each roller. You can see this after close examination.

There was no way to get these leather washers on without removing the rollers. What I did was grind away the back of the rivet and then drilled and tapped each roller with threads that would allow me to put them back on and hold with screws once I got the washers installed. In retrospect, it would have been far easer to just put a dot of weld instead of using screws. I also looked long and hard for some type of improved replacement but found nothing suitable. Good luck!

Guest born2lose

Does that guy need your old ones to go off of because. If thats the case then im screwed because i dont have old ones.. i will need deminsions then

Guest KeithElwell

A friend of mine and I both own 1936 Buick 40 Series coupes and are running about the same point in our efforts to restore the door wood and window installations. He was ahead of me on the woodwork and was ready to retore his window regulators before I got to mine. His solution looked great to replace the leather washers, etc. so I got him to do the same on mine. Here's what he did (mostly quoted from his description):

"I had bought them (nylon rollers) from California Pontiac Restoration, got these last ones from Chevs of the 40s (slightly cheaper) pt#3847281 roller and rivet $1.50ea +S&H..They`re actually for 37-57 chevys and states that 37-48 needs modification. What I had to do was after taking the original rivet out was to weld up the hole, grind it flat, then drill a new hole the size of the new rivet (I used a bit to where it was a tight fit) then pressed the new rivet w/roller in, and since I didn`t have the proper tool to flare the rivet I ground the portion sticking thru the backside down flush and did a quick burn with the mig welder. That`s where you have to be careful cause you can melt the nylon roller with too much heat. You could probably hammer the rivet to flare the end but to me welding it is easier and less chance of it coming loose."

Hope this is some help.

Guest born2lose

and how did it turn out compared to the originals? did you have to modify the track as well? My doors are not wood anymore I converted every thing on the car to metal

Guest KeithElwell

I have not yet reassembled my door using the rebuilt regulator rollers but my friend has assembled his door and glass and it works flawlessly and smooth.

.."I had bought them (nylon rollers) from California Pontiac Restoration, got these last ones from Chevs of the 40s (slightly cheaper) pt#3847281 roller and rivet $1.50ea +S&H..

Chevs of the 40s: 3847281 37^57 - Chevrolet%20Window Regulator Roller & Rivet For Slot In Window Channel