1907 Deere

Guest austincar6

Guest austincar6

Over Christmas I was giving a model car and a booklet about the car. The model is a 1907 Deere type B made in Moline, Illinois. After reading the booklet I found out it was a reprint. I believe in 1991 Deere Co. made them as a promotional car.

While on the internet and looking through some of my books I found out the Deere did make cars for 2 year. In 1906 there was the type A touring with a 25 H.P. T head engine. In 1907 there were 2 new types. A type B was a touring with a 30 H.P. T head engine. The type C was a gentlemen roaster.

Now after doing some investigating I was wondering if there are any Deere cars or part of a Deere car still around?

Edited by austincar6 (see edit history)

There have been rumors and stories of a Deere Car in existance but I have never seen a photo or any real proof that one exists. I have original brochures and photos of the cars but am not aware of any part of a car in existance.

• 2 months later...

There is/was a gentleman in a small town in Michigan (I believe the town was named Belding?) by the name of Bud Jonas. He was at one time pretty big in The Horseless Carriage Club. I was introduced to him by a mutual friend that we knew in South Central Michigan. I believe he was supposed to have had the only known St. Louis car in existence. His family had had the John Deere dealership in the area for decades. I met this man in the early 1980's and I do not know if he still is alive or not. He told our friend, and I heard him say this, that he thought he had a solid lead on a Deere cars remains. This I supposed could be checked out. John, you are a John Deere guy. Maybe with your company connections you could track Mr. Jonas down if he is still living. I am a former employee of The John Deere Waterloo Tractor Works Research and Engineering Center at Waterloo, Iowa. I hope this information might possibly be of some help. Terry Wiegand South Hutchinson, Kansas

• 1 month later...

This car was in the 1964 issue of Horseless carriage journal, It was posted by a man in California Herb Royston I wander if he owned it. I talked with the manager of Knotts Berry farms and after conversations with old employees they admitted they did have a Deere car but sometime before the sale of the park to Cedar Fair it became missing. Justin Jensen (402) 929 3118 1907 Deere Clear Photo Rear 22 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Edited by wheelwright (see edit history)

Guest austincar6

Thank for showing the photo of a deereing Justin. Terry, I have met Bud at Hershey swap meet. He vends by the HCCA tent.

• 5 years later...

I looked up that Mr Jonas in Belding Michigan, he did restore one of the last or only St Louis Automobiles in existence. He seen a 1906 Deere Model A in Indiania in 1965 but the family would not sell it, it was much like the 1907 Model B Deere but did not have the T-Head engine. Mr Jonas still has hopes to acquire the car from the family that owns it someday.

Edited by wheelwright (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...