The Gleason - Looking for Information

Guest jpgtoo

I know that in the early 1900s, the Kansas City Motor Co. produced mostly trucks, but also at least one model of automobile. I saw one many many years ago at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. The Museum took it off display several years ago and put it in storage. I am interested in knowing more about this car and obtaining some photos. I have scoured the Internet with little success, so I am turning to this forum for more information, like specifications, how many models, how many produced, etc.

Thanks.

Marque or Author: Gleason 1910?

jpgtoo...Welcome to the AACA Forum.

I checked the AACA Library On-Line catalog (Home Page, "Library" in header bar). Found the following:

Title: (no title)

Summary: One 8x10 black/white photo; notes on reverse. Illustrates a Gleason model in a race; models were built by Kansas City Vehicle Co., Kansas City, Missouri, from 1909 - 1914.

Subject: Photographs

Call number: 96-G0424

I will do a little more checking and post if anything else is on-line.

Of note, check the Library site out thoroughly. You can request a research for a nominal fee or if you are a member ot the AACA you receive 1 1/2 hyours per year free research time.

Forgot to mention, your Library retains thousands of pieces of literature thus not everything is in the on-line catalog.

Follow the easy instructions should you opt to have our library staff search the huge collection.

Regards,

Peter J.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

Thanks. I'll follow-up with a research request. And I appreciate the offer to pass along anything you might find. I did search this forum and found a related post back in 2002 and a statement that the author had a photo. Unfortunately, the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is not inclined to be helpful, though I assume they have info on the car in their collection.

I knew a guy about 30 years ago who had a Gleason. He said it was a 1903 which would pre-date the Kansas City operation but he said it came from a barn in Missouri. The guy's name was Clifford if my memory serves us correctly and he lived in Barnsboro (Mantua) NJ. He also had some other cars and I think he's still around but I don't know if he'd appreciate me telling the world.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Graham Clayton

According to the "Standard Catalog", the Gleason remained virtually unchanged through its 4-year production run.

The car was powered by a 2 cylinder, 20 hp engine, and sat on a 95 inch wheelbase. The models offered were:

Model K High Wheel Buggy - $950

Model L High Wheel Runabout - $970

Model M High Wheel Baby Tonneau - $1000

Model Q Baby Tonneau - $1125

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Willie, if you hold your cursor over Clifford's

user-name, you'll see that he hasn't visited

the forum since Dec. 3, 2019--two days after

his first and only posting.  

He is unlikely to see your message, but you can

send him a Private Message, which should also

send a notice to his e-mail address of record.

Hold your cursor over his user-name, and then

click on the little "envelope" symbol that says

"Message."  A dialogue box will open up that will

enable you to write something to him and then

click "send."

Family history can be interesting.  I hope you 

find more about the Gleason car!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello Willie,  I stumbled over this post while considering how to find a new home for my dads and our families car. That was my sister the posted before. The car my father has was purchased new in 1902 by my great , great uncle and was a family car in a small town not far from Jefferson City Missouri. My father was given the car and he picked it up in 1973 and it’s been in New Jersey ever since. It has had four restorations and is in its original state running and driving condition. It’s the high wheel (wagon wheel) model. 
njwater@hotmail.com if you would like to get ahold of me. 

• Like 1