1065 Riviera Headlamp Motor

redreattaruss

they actually make new ones now..about 10 years ago had to have 3 motors to make one motor for mine..cost me around $450 to do it:(

If redreattaruss is too expensive, where can I find new ones? 10 years ago I should have bought when I found them. Now they are tough to find. Somewhere back then I read parts to rebuild them can be used from Cadillac wing window motors. Others here prob know better..

Guest rivguy65

i had to delete that post..when i had mine done i used 3 cores like i said..someone a few later years told me that they were making them..did just a google search on them..and did see the mention of a cadillac window motor being used on one listing but no new ones.saw one site there must have been 10 people looking for headlight motors.Larry Daisey of Rancho Rivieras maybe the best place to start.He even has a video of him testing a headlight motor on youtube.I have seen that.

If you buy a used non-working motor be sure that it has all parts that are needed . Re-building the motor itself is just the start of a rebuild . The micro switches are very hard to find as is the main gear inside the transmission that sits on top of the motor . I use to sell these parts seperate but not anymore . I need all I have to rebuild those that come in for complete repair . I also buy 2 or 3 units to complete 1 rebuilt one . I have been rebuilding these for years and the parts are getting harder and harder to find .FYI , if your car is whole and you need to remove the headlight motor - remove the front lic. plate holder and the HL motor will come out between the upper and lower bumper - be carfull of the micro switches. HAPPY NEW YEAR ! :)

If you buy a used non-working motor be sure that it has all parts that are needed . Re-building the motor itself is just the start of a rebuild . The micro switches are very hard to find as is the main gear inside the transmission that sits on top of the motor . I use to sell these parts seperate but not anymore . I need all I have to rebuild those that come in for complete repair . I also buy 2 or 3 units to complete 1 rebuilt one . I have been rebuilding these for years and the parts are getting harder and harder to find .FYI , if your car is whole and you need to remove the headlight motor - remove the front lic. plate holder and the HL motor will come out between the upper and lower bumper - be carfull of the micro switches. HAPPY NEW YEAR ! :)

So how much do u sell a rebuilt motor for without a core exchange? Not sure how much truth is behind what I read. But it seems Cadillac wing window internals work for rebuilding our headlight motors. I'm sure u have heard that before and u prob know what parts do & don't work.

Ugh, I want one…Santa Claus couldn't even find one to put in my stocking lol

Im in the same situation as you Chris. Nothing to start with either in my 65. Has anyone heard from this redreattaruss guy? I sure would like to get my hands on one tho lol

Check my ebay listings Tuesday about 8 PM Pacific Time. A bunch more stuff will be going on then to close this Sunday with the Riviera parts I already have on eBay.

Search my eBay user ID: chargeruss

And here's a picture of an electric head light motor car. Father bought it from Water's Buick in San Francisco in late 1964.

post-52443-143139317892_thumb.jpg

Check my ebay listings Tuesday about 8 PM Pacific Time. A bunch more stuff will be going on then to close this Sunday with the Riviera parts I already have on eBay.

Search my eBay user ID: chargeruss

And here's a picture of an electric head light motor car. Father bought it from Water's Buick in San Francisco in late 1964.

HOOK SET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly, he posted this. His first auction has ended and he would still have 7 more to go, but he seems to have vanished. He no longer has anything for sale on Ebay and hasnt answered messages in two days. Thought I found a source for a motor, guess not. Going back to finishing the rebuild until something comes available again. I would have already bought two from him, had he given me a price. Instead he wants to play games. His lose I still have my money ;)

Thanks for your interest however I do not quote prices on the forum . May I suguest that those that need parts check with the advertised vendors in The Bugle or The Review - they have many parts sitting on the shelf to help those that have the need . Larry Daisey and Gene Gunere are just a couple that come to mind . If you dont have a motor now , you may or maynot need the correct brackets , harness , relays or ??? . Check with your tech advisors if you are not sure what you need as well . If you have ANY questions you can email me or call .I am more then happy to assist with any issues re 63-65 Riviera .

I bid on the last one - kind of glad I didnt win - I buy cores to rebuild and try and keep a couple done on the shelf . :confused:Strange how he vanished ?

I haven't vanished. I'm still shipping out the parts from auction. Then a week or two to get back to normal. I'll try to put some more Riviera parts on eBay in a couple of weeks, but mostly different smaller items. Yes, I'll put another headlight motor up. I've come across some '65 GS (also an option on non GS) Riviera lower rocker mouldings and a really nice original wood steering wheel. Also a bunch of complete cruise control units and remote L & R side mirrors.

I'll let you know when the parts go on auction. This weekend I'm replacing the 2" long hose that goes on the AC equipped fuel filter on the dual quad setup. Should take 5 minutes. Don't like to mess with cars like I used to years ago. :D

Thanks for your interest however I do not quote prices on the forum . May I suguest that those that need parts check with the advertised vendors in The Bugle or The Review - they have many parts sitting on the shelf to help those that have the need . Larry Daisey and Gene Gunere are just a couple that come to mind . If you dont have a motor now , you may or maynot need the correct brackets , harness , relays or ??? . Check with your tech advisors if you are not sure what you need as well . If you have ANY questions you can email me or call .I am more then happy to assist with any issues re 63-65 Riviera .

Ok sooooooo do u have a headlamp motor on hand right now or not??

I am new to this stuff but I am a ROA now and I thought you were my Tech Advisor??

I have reached Larry Daisey and he does not have any motors. I guess I will have to go thru the Review like you suggested to find others who can help me.

I have what I think is all the linkage for the headlamp covers, electrical harness and one bracket. Not sure if there are more than one bracket. I will look into it.

(Looks like Reatta guy reappeared, hello again)

Well thank you Dick Sweeney

David

At this point I'll just rebuild mine and not have a motor. Its disheartening that everyone wants to be secretive about what they have or dont have available or wants to hoard the items to jack up the prices. I thought the community was about helping each other and instead headlight motors are nothing but the disgusting greed of people. You have people obvious interested in the items and the chance to make something off what you have but instead its Waiting on Ebay auctions so you can make the most for the item rather then help a fellow car enthusiast out.

I ordered a bunch of other parts now, so I dont have the money to buy anything even if it was available.

At this point I'll just rebuild mine and not have a motor. Its disheartening that everyone wants to be secretive about what they have or dont have available or wants to hoard the items to jack up the prices. I thought the community was about helping each other and instead headlight motors are nothing but the disgusting greed of people. You have people obvious interested in the items and the chance to make something off what you have but instead its Waiting on Ebay auctions so you can make the most for the item rather then help a fellow car enthusiast out.

I ordered a bunch of other parts now, so I dont have the money to buy anything even if it was available.

Really? It's like I owe you something. Sorry, but the reality is I owe no one anything. My father and I had the insight to collect early Riviera parts in the 60's and 70's when they were plentiful. In going through my father's and my stuff, I come across the parts and make them available to others.

I prefer selling parts and cars on eBay. I'm just a part time seller and usually only sell Nova and Riviera parts around New Years. It's a real hassle; I've spend a good week full time locating parts, photographing the parts, writing descriptions, and worst of all the 3 days packing and shipping the parts.

Don't give me that, "Ah, poor Russ, he complains all the way to the bank." You are not obligated to purchase any of my parts, nor am I obligated to sell any parts. I am not a dealer. I am not a business. Just trying to unload too much stuff. :(

Rocker panel moldings on a '65 Riviera are part of the custome interior package, not a Gran Sport, or single item option.

Good information, RivNut. This site list option A50:

1965 Buick Riviera Optional Equipment

So, it looks like the fancy vinyl seats received the rocker option. Thus, a non or GS Riviera could or could not have the rocker mouldings.

Thanks for the information.

That is correct. I own both a GS, and a non-GS optioned 65 Riv. Both cars have the Custom Interior option, and both cars have the Lower Rocker Mouldings.

Whoaa..where are you guys getting this info?! It is correct the rocker panel moldings were included with the custom interior option but they were also available as a separate option "W 5 Rocker Panel Moldings-optional with trims 601-604-608-609 (included with extra cost trim)" Therefore, every custom trim optioned car was built with rocker panel moldings but it was also possible to order the rocker panel moldings on standard trim cars. I have owned several standard trim cars with rocker panel moldings, both GS and non-GS cars.

If you look closely at the website for which a link was provided you will notice the rocker panel moldings are listed as a separate option and even priced, but no option code is listed. This is an omission. You will also notice a pic of a `64 cast aluminum wheel cover described as the `65 "chrome wheel". If it`s on the internet it must be true...lots of bad information out there!

Tom Mooney

Really? It's like I owe you something. Sorry, but the reality is I owe no one anything. My father and I had the insight to collect early Riviera parts in the 60's and 70's when they were plentiful. In going through my father's and my stuff, I come across the parts and make them available to others.

I prefer selling parts and cars on eBay. I'm just a part time seller and usually only sell Nova and Riviera parts around New Years. It's a real hassle; I've spend a good week full time locating parts, photographing the parts, writing descriptions, and worst of all the 3 days packing and shipping the parts.

Don't give me that, "Ah, poor Russ, he complains all the way to the bank." You are not obligated to purchase any of my parts, nor am I obligated to sell any parts. I am not a dealer. I am not a business. Just trying to unload too much stuff. :(

I never implied that you or anyone else owned me anything. My point is finding a headlight motor is like dealing in the black market. People hoard them and communication is not friendly. There are a few folks in the this thread who could use help and instead its see my Ebay auction or See the Riview. It would be nice if people just offered assistance. They come with a price, I got that, I have no problem with making money off the deal. But I was ready to buy and instead I was faced with games. I have alot more work to do to the car before I'm willing to play games to get a part.

I expected being in a forum like this that people would see folks like me saying I need a part and someone answering with "I have one, send me a message/call me/ email me and we can work something out' Instead its when I put it on Ebay you can bid on it, or I have two but I dont talk 'business' on the forum. Not an entirely friendly approach and its only the headlight motors that I see this.

I never implied that you or anyone else owned me anything. My point is finding a headlight motor is like dealing in the black market. People hoard them and communication is not friendly. There are a few folks in the this thread who could use help and instead its see my Ebay auction or See the Riview. It would be nice if people just offered assistance. They come with a price, I got that, I have no problem with making money off the deal. But I was ready to buy and instead I was faced with games. I have alot more work to do to the car before I'm willing to play games to get a part.

I expected being in a forum like this that people would see folks like me saying I need a part and someone answering with "I have one, send me a message/call me/ email me and we can work something out' Instead its when I put it on Ebay you can bid on it, or I have two but I dont talk 'business' on the forum. Not an entirely friendly approach and its only the headlight motors that I see this.

Hey man there aint no secret fnn handshake to be a part of this forum , just a bunch of very enthusiastic, generous , like minded folks from all over the world who like old cars. If you need a part , get in line , get out your wallet and pony up , or shut up. This isn't Disney World....restoring this old iron isn't cheap or easy ....especially a 1st gen Riv...probably one of the most expensive 60's cars to restore!!!! Nobody is HOARDING a specific part to make your life miserable ....its called making a buck and man I am all for that...I have an old headlight motor I will sell you....only have one ...not hoarding.... just to make you happy.....350.00 shipped to your door...and there is something called respect for the REAL RIVIERA EXPERTS who have tried to help you....I am not one of them but I respect all they HAVE done for me and my restoration over the YEARS....THANKS GUYS .... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE... P>S> ALINI SEARCH C LIST endlessly like alot of us have for that JUST listed old riviera part..............it happens all the time ...all you have to do is spend 10 hours a week doing it ......or go PLEDGE the wood on your PT

^^^ Good stuff right there. I agree with Pyntre 100 %. This guy with the motors is trying to get as much as he can for them. I don't blame him. They sell for great cash. There is a hell of a demand. We all looked at the auction. Frankly I thought that first one went low. He'll get more for the rest. Jolly John sell his over priced wears all over this site. He hasn't been called out. I guess because he doesn't point you to a e-bay listing he's alright.

Edited by bb1970 (see edit history)

I am not against anyone making money, I have a problem with how hard it is for people to extend a offer to get one.

Pyntyre, with the crap youve given me there is no way in hell I would buy anything from you. You talk about how the Real Riviera Experts try to help, you obviously arent on because you have never helped you do nothing but bash me, trying to call out my other cars as if they have any part of the conversation. You have one for sale and have seen people want one, but this finally gets you to offer it up. Thats a perfect example of what Im talking about. I'm not worried about spending the money, I'm talking about how headlight motors are not a friendly topic

I am not against anyone making money, I have a problem with how hard it is for people to extend a offer to get one.

Pyntyre, with the crap youve given me there is no way in hell I would buy anything from you. You talk about how the Real Riviera Experts try to help, you obviously arent on because you have never helped you do nothing but bash me, trying to call out my other cars as if they have any part of the conversation. You have one for sale and have seen people want one, but this finally gets you to offer it up. Thats a perfect example of what Im talking about. I'm not worried about spending the money, I'm talking about how headlight motors are not a friendly topic

No ... you misunderstand me ... I am willing to take the headlight motor OFF my car to sell TO YOU ...and only YOU , it has never been for sale before ...but to show my compasion for a whiner.... I thought I would offer it up ...I am pretty sure its the last one in the UNIVERSE.....and when you need that next hard to find 65 Riv part .... trust me I will be there to help you out of your DIRE predicament.....So 350.00 it is and I will gladly go unbolt it tonight ... I ship UPS insured...HEY ROB ...HOW ARE THE QUALITY OF MY PARTS.....................................................................................I wish there was a filter for real car people on these forums

The quality of your parts are among the best I've bought. I'm not sure where you found some of those parts, but it looks like they came from a car barely used. Are you done cleaning out the garage? :D

I look far and wide for those parts ....There still are lots of these cars that are being dragged from long slumbers in small town America...You just have to be first one to the punch !!!!!! I still have lots of super nice stuff ... I sell it as I need some extra mad money ... the first Riv I bought I parted out for twice what I payed for it. I hate to be a jag on this forum but nobody EVER gave me anything and I can't , , , Can NOT ... stand whiney ,no it all people that think they are owed something by a huge populous of complete strangers. I look forward to the 700 horse 401 nailhead that our newfound leader is having built by a bunch of teenagers... Move over Mr Telesco ...Move over Mr Martin...............Give me a FNN break !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Alini , 350.00 shipped , or are you buying fuzzy floormats for the camaro

OK Russ: Your father use to tell me all the time how the two of you use to go to pick yur part in Hayward in the mid 80's and come home with what's now a real score. I guess it was pretty good score then too. Many times he's bring up the purse hook. He'd ask me if I knew what it was and then told me how many he had. He really loved those Rivs. Had my father dragged me to some wrecking yard when I was a youut looking for riviera cars and parts who knows what kind of First-Gen Riv things would have happened?? As it stands I have previously owned about 15 of them including the ones I sold and knocked in the head. BTW, I got the pair of wire caps with the broken spinner. I guess I'll need a spinner...or 2...or 3. Mitch

OK Russ: Your father use to tell me all the time how the two of you use to go to pick yur part in Hayward in the mid 80's and come home with what's now a real score. I guess it was pretty good score then too. Many times he's bring up the purse hook. He'd ask me if I knew what it was and then told me how many he had. He really loved those Rivs. Had my father dragged me to some wrecking yard when I was a youut looking for riviera cars and parts who knows what kind of First-Gen Riv things would have happened?? As it stands I have previously owned about 15 of them including the ones I sold and knocked in the head. BTW, I got the pair of wire caps with the broken spinner. I guess I'll need a spinner...or 2...or 3. Mitch

Interesting enough, with all the boxes of Riviera stuff I've gone through, I haven't found the purse hooks. The Pick Your Part junkyard in Hayward has been empty for a year or two now. No cars there. I do remember around 1970 when we were looking for a 425 for my father's '65, which had 120K, the junkyards by Third Street in San Francisco were crushing '63-'65 Rivieras left and right. Evidently, many owners liked the early Rivieras, since there are still plenty left. Sorta' like Novas or '65 Mustangs. Smart people, those Riviera owners. :D

Wow, hard to believe they were crushing 5-7 year old Riv's in 1970.

Back in the sixties, cars didn't last as long as they do today. In 1966, my friend's '52 chevy coupe with the 216 was OLD. Today, a 14 year old car is nothing. With todays cars operating on superior engine oils with the leaner fuel injection, 200K with no problems is common. Some cars can go 300K. And great driveability, reliability, safety, and comfort, too.

A 1965 Buick, for example, required 100 octane gas, had an old fashioned carburator, no over drive or lockup transmission, and used brute power instead of technology. And got 10-12 MPG. At 120K, my father's '65 Riviera had ticking lifters, the starter drive would spin out when starting, and the engine was leaking oil badly. Not to mention the timing gear cover spewing coolant into the crankcase. The transmission had already been replaced and the rear end had been howling, so it was replaced. And then there was the many problems my father had with the many headlight motors he replaced.

Today car owners wouldn't put up with that and I think partly through imported auto competition, better lubricants, electronic controls for the engine, ABS braking, traction control, airbags and other safety items. cars of today are vastly superior to the older models.

That's why 1965 Rivieras were junked in 1970.

---------There is nothing like a newer car.

--------There is nothing neater than an older car. :D