1948 Roadmaster 320 engine, free but you have to act fast, San Antonio, Texas

Pete Phillips

One of the finest, most kind and considerate BCA members I have ever had the pleasure of knowing called me this evening from his home in San Antonio, wondering if anyone needed a 1948 Buick Roadmaster engine (320 cu. inch, standard shift crankshaft). He is getting it back from someone he sold it to some years ago, but has no room for it and is willing to give it to someone who will use it, otherwise it goes to the junkyard very soon. Hugh Morris is over 80 years of age, has a 3-digit BCA number, and is a very fine person--I would like to help him out. The engine runs well, he says, but he is going to keep the exhaust manifold; otherwise it is complete. Someone shortened the air cleaner so it would fit in a '38 Century, and he says someone ground on the camshaft a bit, giving it a bit of a lope at idle, but it smooths right out above idle speed. Whoever gets it will need to do so quickly, and will need to bring their own hoist, as he has no way of lifting it. Someone needs to get this engine. I'm 325 miles north of San Antonio so it's not very convenient to me. Hugh's phone # is (210) 653-9688. I'd suggest not calling after 9 pm central time and not before 9 a.m. I would say it needs to be picked up within a week or so, but I did not ask. I'm sure he will try to accommodate anyone who is reasonable. I don't think Hugh has a computer,so please don't ask for photos. He assured me that it runs fine, and coming from him, you can take that to the bank.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

why are all good find so far away from my loading spot in Harrisburg PA??

s

One of the finest, most kind and considerate BCA members I have ever had the pleasure of knowing called me this evening from his home in San Antonio, wondering if anyone needed a 1948 Buick Roadmaster engine (320 cu. inch, standard shift crankshaft). He is getting it back from someone he sold it to some years ago, but has no room for it and is willing to give it to someone who will use it, otherwise it goes to the junkyard very soon. Hugh Morris is over 80 years of age, has a 3-digit BCA number, and is a very fine person--I would like to help him out. The engine runs well, he says, but he is going to keep the exhaust manifold; otherwise it is complete. Someone shortened the air cleaner so it would fit in a '38 Century, and he says someone ground on the camshaft a bit, giving it a bit of a lope at idle, but it smooths right out above idle speed. Whoever gets it will need to do so quickly, and will need to bring their own hoist, as he has no way of lifting it. Someone needs to get this engine. I'm 325 miles north of San Antonio so it's not very convenient to me. Hugh's phone # is (210) 653-9688. I'd suggest not calling after 9 pm central time and not before 9 a.m. I would say it needs to be picked up within a week or so, but I did not ask. I'm sure he will try to accommodate anyone who is reasonable. I don't think Hugh has a computer,so please don't ask for photos. He assured me that it runs fine, and coming from him, you can take that to the bank.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas