Vintage Delivery Trucks On Main Street U.S.A.: A Pictorial

That cab on the T-Bird hauler appears to be 48-52 ford and the Ellingson panel truck at the Connecticut show is a 34 Ford.

Thanks for that info Dave. At the time I got to taking those photos, it was late in the day, and I don't remember seeing any windshield identification card on the vehicle. The fellow who owned it, however, was a real nice guy and was pleasant to chat with. I think I recall his saying that he came down from around the northeast corner of the state to participate in this shoreline event. Evidently the museum was one or two owners ago in the truck's life...

Guest bill murray

Thanks from me too, Dave:

I thought it a bit odd that Flagship Fords would be hauled by a Dodge truck but IIRC, that was the way it was captioned. Looking closer, I see the Ford resemblance in the cab area.

Bill

Thanks for that info Dave. At the time I got to taking those photos, it was late in the day, and I don't remember seeing any windshield identification card on the vehicle. The fellow who owned it, however, was a real nice guy and was pleasant to chat with. I think I recall his saying that he came down from around the northeast corner of the state to participate in this shoreline event. Evidently the museum was one or two owners ago in the truck's life...

Steve,

As you probably know the 32-34 Ford trucks were all pretty much the same. That particular truck was from Minnesota, I'm surprised it's in Connecticut now. I found this page on the net. ELLINGSON CAR MUSEUM

Guest bill murray

post-75348-143142125499_thumb.jpg

Here, a 1938 Chevrolet in Gothenburg, Sweden. The boxes are the last delivery of Telefunken radios to Sweden before the start of the war, photo taken sometime in 1939.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest bill murray

A few more "furriners". All 1935 Fords and all from Holland.

Edit: The photos do not come out correctly but I will go ahead and post this one and do one at a time from here on.

Billpost-75348-143142179847_thumb.jpg

post-75348-143142179849_thumb.jpg

post-75348-143142179852_thumb.jpg

Thank you 30DodgePanel

I liked this several days ago, but likes have been removed and can no longer post.

I seen it before the likes disappeared, your welcome. Thank you sir for continuing on this thread. I have not been checking on this thread much lately so I had to go back and get caught up to what I've missed and I couldn't help but realize some things. I hope it's ok to share some brief thoughts with everyone.

1.) I hope we all realize the significance of this historical documentation all in one place here in this thread. There is much history and knowledge regarding these classics that I dare say may not have been realized when this thread was introduced. As Bill Murray has reflected with appreciation it just shows the impact this kind of thing makes in peoples lives. The memories are fun and the trucks are cool but the historical significance is incredible if you just take a second to let some of these shots sink in. The photography ??? Well, sheer brilliance for so many reasons but the work of some of these photographers was incredible and I know we can all agree that without them, we would not be able to enjoy. After all,,, many of these trucks have been lost forever so a kodachrome is all we have.

2.) As a business owner, what really stands out to me as I browse through these pages is that these trucks all take on a form of personality for many reasons. I'm sure the owners of each of these business's enjoyed these vehicles as much as we do, whether it be for the lines and classic look, or the practicality of what type of truck to use for they're particular business needs. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I have been overwhelmed as I browse these pages with utmost respect for those business owners who have gone before us because of they're foresight, simplicity and extravagance at times, all seemingly true time capsules of days gone by. I for one greatly appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread and hope to see it continue to grow. The knowledge and history in here is incredible if you study the photos. Not to mention it provides key answers to those of us who are restoring these old trucks and helps provide answers that have been hidden for years in some cases.

Back to the trucks. Here is a early LA Times truck I found on a Hemming's Blog. It states "Dating from 1901, this photo depicts an early delivery truck for the L.A. Times".

LAPL_20144_resized.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I wonder, what was the way of infliction letters on a truck's board? Now we are just print images and glue it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]214055[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]214056[/ATTACH]

Used to be done by hand by sign painters in most cases, these guys were true artists in my opinion. Spent a few summers with an uncle doing billboards off of I-35 between Cameron and Bethany Mo, he was well known in several states and would be able to letter a truck in 1-8 hours depending on the complexity of the business signage. Billboard signs usually took us 2 days.

post-69994-143142190894_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142190882_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142190886_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142190891_thumb.jpg

Used to be done by hand by sign painters in most cases, these guys were true artists in my opinion. Spent a few summers with an uncle doing billboards off of I-35 between Cameron and Bethany Mo, he was well known in several states and would be able to letter a truck in 1-8 hours depending on the complexity of the business signage. Billboard signs usually took us 2 days.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]214057[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]214058[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]214059[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]214060[/ATTACH]

Wow! It's very useful information to me. Thank you!