Vintage Delivery Trucks On Main Street U.S.A.: A Pictorial

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Here's a fun one taken May 25, 1934 in front of the Texas Capitol Building in Austin. The Austin History Center posted their comments on the photo: "Beer trucks belonging to the Lightsey Carroll Company Distributors stand at the ready to deliver beer to thirsty Austinites. Featuring the Capitol in the background lends an air of legality to beer distribution, particularly considering that Prohibition had ended just five months before."

Note the two '29 Model A Ford Taxi's which have been converted to delivery vehicles by painting over the side windows (homemade Sedan Deliveries) and I presume had the rear seats removed to haul more cases of brew. Wonder whether the Model AA bus was used to deliver beer or carry celebrants to parties since Prohibition had just ended. eek.gif

The Model A Ford Taxi had the lowest production of all 1929 Model A's other than the Town Car (4,576 vs. 913). In fact, Ford made more A-400 Convertible Sedans in 1931 than they made Taxi's in 1929 (4,864 vs. 4,576). I would presume by 1934, a 1929 Austin Taxi would have had quite a few miles on it and they must have been bought for a little bit of nothing by the beer distributor to convert to a delivery vehicle. Now wonder how many Model AA School Buses were made? This photo does have some rare vehicles in it!

I've stood on that very spot where the photo was taken many times and unfortunately they weren't parked there the last time I visited. frown.gif

Fred

AHC-Falstaff-photo-metapth125330_xl_C065611_zps8ed5731b.jpg

Great picture,Fred. You can tell they are genuine Taxicabs by the plain cowl. Taxis were the only fordor to use the same cowl as the tudor and coupe. The bus is also unusual in that it appeats to have a driver's door. All the school buses I've seem have all windows on the driver's side like the one in Stock-Steve's post from the Elliot Museum.

181498d1362635635-elliott-museum-stuart-fl-elliottmuseumaaschoolbusfront-aaca.jpg