New guy with questions

Guest fastbusa

Guest fastbusa

I'm the new guy to this site and a new owner of a antique car. I bought a 1938 dodge brothers two door d8 . It is in great shape , needs work but its all there. I bought it with the intention to make a hot rod. I really don't know what I have. I looked into the title and it has only 55,000 original miles. I have it down to bare metal now and I don't know if I should keep it original or continue with my hot rod thought. I've never had a car this old . Please help

Here's one more vote for keeping it original. (Full disclosure - I've been in love with Dodges and Chryslers for over 40 years) I think there's nothing nicer than an original MoPar from the 30's. You have two huge advantages to start with - the car is all there and in great shape AND the mileage is relatively low. Yes, they won't cruise at freeway speeds BUT you get to hang out with lots of crazy people just like us and field endless questions from the curious. Besides, secondary roads and highways are a lot more interesting and easier to travel.

There, I've said my piece. Thanks for joining the forum . There are a lot of people here willing to answer questions as you proceed with your car, especially in the Dodge & Dodge Brothers forum.

Best of luck!

Does the car have a bustle trunk (touring sedan) or flat trunk (standard two door sedan)? The bustle trunk model had a run of 17,282 built. The standard sedan had a production run of ONLY 999 built! Very rare for that type of car.

post-37352-143139307813_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139307823_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139307831_thumb.jpg

As an original it will be it will be unique and stand out from the crowd to be admired. As a hot rod it will be just another person's attempt to be unique that looks pretty much like everyone elses attempt to be unique..................Bob

Guest Foggy norm

Essentially, you'd be creating a "part's car" if you Rod it. Many aquaintance's garage's I've been to have had rod project's sitting there much long than expected because of the unexpected cost's of rodding (the reason they have ridiculous selling prices). The verdict is usually "gonna sell it", but can't figure out, why no one want's it. I'll get asked for an opinion because I like old car's, upon seeing a chopped up hulk, I can only suggest they try and get some money back...it's a part's car! Even the one's that are finished, they have a year or two of fun, then it become's old and boring with no way of getting any money they put into it back....it's a part's car!

As one quote I've seen here say's..."it's only original once" , In my opinion, original IS unique.

Guest fastbusa

Thanks a lot eveyone. . keiser, i have the touring trunk. i will post the photos. the only thing ineed is the small molding on the drivers side of the hood, all moldings are great, thats the only molding missing. If anyone knows where i can pick a molding up at please let me know. posting photos

If money is not a major factor, restore it to original condition then buy another hot rodded 30 something Dodge thats finished or a project that some1 lost interest in. You may even save yourself some money in the long run. I wouldn't criticize you for any decision. Its suppose to be fun, challenging and rewarding.

Where a lot of guys go wrong when making the hot rod choice they think all old cars CAN be great looking hot rods. Look at what you have, will the body shape be a great candidate for the hot rod look. I have seen a lot of guys try to do something that just looks terrible when they finish. I like hot rods, customs and original cars and there are some old cars that make sharp hot rods but there are more old car bodies that do not.

Think of it this way, can you improve on body modifications that will make the original team of styling engineers envious?

Good luck in your decision.

Guest TsandAs

One more vote for ORIGINAL

My choice has always been to bring cars back as they were originally built from a historical perspective. You can always personalize your project with period correct accessories.

post-78906-143139314313_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot eveyone. . keiser, i have the touring trunk. i will post the photos. the only thing ineed is the small molding on the drivers side of the hood, all moldings are great, thats the only molding missing. If anyone knows where i can pick a molding up at please let me know. posting photos

I have a 38 Dodge parts car. Are you talking about the molding that runs down the hood?:confused: I'll check to see if it has one today. Give me a call at 209 613 1199. Thanks, Dave:cool:

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)