A neat photo of a 1934 Ford Motor Co. service station in Detroit and a JUMBO Ford motor home

Guest T-Head

MilI.jpg

The photo (above) shows Millenbach’s Ford Service Station at the corner of Russell and Gratiot in Detroit, Michigan. The photo is dated August 13, 1934 and shows one of the service stations that were part of a three year Ford program between 1934-1936.

The Ford Motor Company tried the experiment to get a larger part of the service, parts, gas and tire market and also sold new and used cars at some of the stations. It was very unpopular with Ford dealers already in business and also the garage and service trade and was dropped after the three years. Photo courtresy of The Henry Ford Museum and you can see many more on The Old Motor along with neat photos like the ultimate Model T motor home below.

ModT.jpg

That corner is vacant today. Shame, the building just past it was beautiful, as was much of Detroit then. "the Paris of the midwest".

Thanks so much for the information on it today. So sad the decline the city is in.

It doesn't matter anymore. Toyotas are made in Tennessee (I think), VW's in the USA, and I'm pretty sure Nissans too. My new "buy USA" Jeep is owned by Fiat, I think the engine is a Fiat, the trans made in Germany, and the rest who the Hell knows.

You can blame the UAW, pattern contracts, legasy costs, and non right to work laws but I'm not even sure that makes much of a difference.

Bottom line is the buying public will buy whatever offers the most value and competition will ensure the survival of the fittest. Adapt or die.

..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

They may take advantage of Foreign-sourced components to be assembled within our borders, but the PROFITS still go OFF-SHORE !

I don't mean to shout, but to me, it is not the same as "made in the USA" -- just me!

They may take advantage of Foreign-sourced components to be assembled within our borders, but the PROFITS still go OFF-SHORE !

I don't mean to shout, but to me, it is not the same as "made in the USA" -- just me!

Someone always has to point out how the profits go to the foreign countries. Some certainly does, but how about the workers who assemble the cars, the hundreds of small businesses that profit from these factories , the dealers, mechanics, salesmen, auto transporters, aftermarket supplies and so many more that house and feed themselves and their families because of these foreign cars. No, all of the profit does not go off shore. Additionally, these companies are publicly traded. You can buy a share of Toyota and guess what? Some of the profit goes to you