Sigh of relief in the U.K.

R.White

I have just heared that the European Commission in Brussels has backed down on a demand that all classic cars that have been altered in any way be taken off the road. Our Government Transport Minister, Stephen Hammond, aparently persuaided the E.U. officials after hearing representations from car car enthusiasts. Seeing that since this November the inspection of pre 1960 cars is no longer mandatory, the proposals would have been unworkable without a Government "U" turn.

I just wonder if it is the influence of car enthusiasts or the potential for yet another Government embarrassment which has really driven the Minister to put his foot down?

Good that the beaurocrats have been beaten back any way.

Ray

Merry Christmas too you too Jason and seasonal greetings to all my Dodgy friends on this Forum ! :D

Please explain to me Jason how this is a financial situation when it looks like a simple political fix?

Ray

Money motivates everything and nearly everyone over here, maybe its different there

I see where you are coming from. I should have taken into consideration how different our political landscapes are. The old car hobby is worth £billions to the British economy and that could be used as a reason for fighting off the threat from the E.U. who seem to have different priorities. Unfortunately, successive British Governments have shown that if it is politically inconvenient to act in the National interest, then the cost to the economy can prove very great indeed. Fortunately for us, in this instance, our political and economic interests are aligned.

Politically, our continued membership of the E.U. is a "hot potato" and not a subject which need be expatiated here.

I am simply reminded of the attempts by unelected E.U. beaurocrats to curtail our freedoms in the past.

Ray.