Power Antenna...Aftermarket Stereo...1990 Reatta Vert

Guest Chris Malone

Guest Chris Malone

In the process of changing out the factory stereo head unit with an aftermarket unit. Bought the wiring harness, referred to the shop manual for the appropriate connections, and everything works great except for the power antenna...it does not go up when the radio is turned on. Right now it is wired to the "pink" wire of the factory harness from the "blue" wire of the new stereo (labeled as the auto antenna trigger). I have checked the power from the stereo, and it is providing power, however the antenna is not operating. Before making this change it worked great, but I just don't know what to check at this point...any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris, double check the adapter harness. there are usually two blue wires, one has a white strip or dash. I don't remember which, but one triggers an auto-antenna, the other is a remote power trigger for an outboard amp module. Generally they should work identically, but may not in all applications. Also, check the configuration on your head unit. Usually there is a setting in a menu somewhere that controls the operational mode of the power antenna. Can't be more specific as every unit is different in how their on-display menus are arranged.

Also, though this is stating the obvious, make sure the power from the blue lead is making it into the mating connector. Could be a misaligned pin or something stupid. Easiest to just backprobe the vehicle side harness (pink wire in this case) with a voltmeter, put the black probe on a good ground and see if you are getting 12V there.

If none of this helps, post back and will see what else I can think of.

EDIT: one more thing, make sure AM or FM is selected, not CD or Ipod inputs as most modern head units only trigger the antenna when one of the tuner modes is selected as active.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Guest Chris Malone
Did you solve the problem? Its always nice to know the solution.

No, I really have not had a chance to get in there again because of the holidays. I did look at the wiring, and there is an orange,

black, and pink wire connected to the antenna relay just as shown in the shop manual. I am confused about one of the factory connectors that was unplugged, as I have accounted for all wiring shown in the shop manual through the four primary connectors (large white, large black, blue, white), but there is another black connector that was plugged in towards the bottom of the factory unit that I cannot identify any of the wires. I didn't know if it was possible that one of those creates a signal that the CD Player is in use, as I know that when the factory CD unit was used the antenna went down. I plan to get into it this weekend, and I will update when the solution is discovered. As always, and suggestions are appreciated!

Reatta has three wires coming from the front of the car and plugging into the antenna relay.

One is hot at all times.

One is hot when the radio is turned on

and the other is ground.

When the radio is turned on, it picks the relay and the hot wire and ground raise the antenna.

When the radio is turned off, the contacts switch and the antenna comes down.

Guest Chris Malone

Wanted to update you guys, as it appears that the problem was actually with the power supplied from the head unit for the antenna trigger, as it was only providing about 2.5v. I ended up installing a separate switch (hidden of course), and wiring the antenna's pink wire to the acc-brown/white wire...this means that the antenna comes up when the key is in the "run" position, however my switch will allow me to put it down if I need to for some reason (maybe car wash, although I hand wash). Thanks for the pointers!