Sign in to follow this  
ted sweet

CORRECT battery for 1977 electra.?????????????

CORRECT battery for 1977 electra.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I cant find any reproduction of the BATTERY used my GM in 1977. want do i do for judging?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Ted, you can try an Interstate distributor near you. They sell plain black, no name batteries. You can make an original looking label or leave it the innocuous black. They sell what they call "blems" and about $35 exch. I have bought all my batteries at the Rochester outlet for the last 20 years or so. They are always friendly. Nicer than me, I bet. I'd probably knock off a couple points just for the Fords and Mopars on your list.

I will need a nice big group 27 by spring.

Bernie

Should have bought a DELCO, I think as long as it says DELCO doesn't matter what it looks like. 1977 was the first year for the Freedom II battery maybe you can make some stickers or someone already does, don't know.:confused:

With all due respect, whenever I see a really nice car at a car show . . . one that the owner spent large (apparently) amounts of money to get done . . . and it has what I'd term "an auto supply battery" in it (less expensive, typically, back then), it kind of made me wonder what ELSE they cut corners on when they did their car. "What evil lurks" under that slick paint sort of thing. But when I saw the OEM brand of battery under the hood, it gave me the signal that everything was done correctly, even if it might have cost a little bit more "to go first class". I never did prove my suspicion, but it just looks better to me.

You might see if the New Castle Battery Company (I believe that's the correct name) is doing any repros of the vintage battery you might desire. The OTHER consideration is that Delco changed their designations for the batteries, over time, back then. The "diesel" battery was an 89A-60, whereas the normal "car" battery was 89-60. The "Delco Eye" was clearly visible, back then, too, but I think it's now covered up under some expanatory labels and such now. ACDELCO.com now shows "75" and "78" series batteries for your application, in "5YR" and "6YR" (warranty period) versions. If you might find some "ACD" part number ACDELCO batteries (usually with a handy carrying handle), those are the "aftermarket" Delco batteries, not the OEM Delco batteries . . . for what it's worth.

I suspect you would find the original battery part number in the back of the owner's manual. Possibly even a "Delco Battery" printed item in the owner's manual packet?

Just some thoughts.

Happy Holidays!

NTX5467

I went through two reproduction DELCO batteries. They were both junk. If, the car sat for more than three days I had to jump it off to get it to crank.

I put in a NAPA battery, and I have not had the booster pack or the jumper cables on it since. I can let it sit for weeks in the cold now and it will crank with out a battery boost....

Judges are more concerned about the added chrome under my hood than the "proper" battery anyway....

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)

Delphi has not made any batteries (AC Delco included) for years. The Delco branded batteries you can buy now are made by Johnson Controls (Interstate is commonly known brand).

Following the rules of judging at a National Meet, a new Delco branded maintenance free battery in this car would not get any deductions. As long it is clean and undamaged.

FWIW.

I might be wrong, but I don't recall any real significant differences between the 1976 and 1977 OEM production Delco batteries. I would greatly suspect that FEW people would know the difference at this point in time . . . with "FEW" being the operative word here. I also suspect that even fewer people would get excited about it being a current OEM production Delco battery, either . . . one which is NOT an "ACD-__" battery which is the "auto supply" Delco battery.

Regards,

NTX5467

If you will be showing in a BCA show, a Delco battery is required to prevent a deduction. AACA does not require a specific brand of battery, only that is is period correct in appearence. If you go with the Delco which is the closest to what was used in 1977, you will have both covered.

Ted,

It looks like you are correct on no one reproducing the original battery. In that case, what you need for AACA judging is a black case side post battery that best fits the size of the hold down and battery tray. Remove the labels from the battery. It would help if you could determine if the original battery had individual caps, two flat caps or a sealed battery. The closer you can get the better and again with no brand logo on the battery. For BCA judging, they will accept it as long as it says DELCO. I think your best fit may be a group 24 side post, but check the dementions including height. This is the closest to a group 74 which I think your car came with. Some cross-reference charts show a group 78 which is a smaller battery. Hope this gets you moving in the right direction.