1931 Ford Cabriolet 68C

That seems to be the general thought. If the car is worth $18K to $24K as is; would it be worth $38 to $44K with just a new paint job? Top, tires interior, engine, transmission are still older restoration. I have been told that Model A's in general are losing value because average age of owners are 75 plus and too many available. Younger generation is not interested in the cars of 20's and 30's. Am I looking a glass half empty?

No, a paint job only will not increase value by $20K.....I'm not a Model A expert, but follow them...they are fairly flat as far as value and increase in value....so your car is probably worth the same it was 10 years ago, condition the same.....if your car is an old, tired, restoration, really needing quite a bit, I'd put it on the market at $16k and hope you get it....Model A buyers can pretty much name the car they want, body style accessories and color, and usually find it. Yes, the C slant windshield cab a little harder to find, but they're out there.....

LikesL29s, you should be looking at this car, opportunity to make it the colors you want....

I have not decided what to do with it yet. It is Bronson Yellow, dual side mounts, leather interior deluxe model. It has won may awards at local shows, but the paint is showing wear. Have to decide what I think it may be worth and if that is enough to make me want to sell. If interested I will keep you posted; I wouldn't do anything until after the new year.

• 1 month later...

I think Wayne asked the right question; "What are you willing to pay?" The one on ford barn is in very nice condition asking price $38,000. looks like professional restoration. The one on Ebay is also very nice asking $25,000.; restoration may not be as detailed. Earlier I asked what these cars are worth, I think the answer is what are you willing to pay for them, what is your budget.

Hi fellows. The green one on Fordbarn is not for me. It is a show car and a fine restoration--the price reflects that, I am after a driver. The one on eBay is OK but not quite what I had in mind. My budget is irrelevant--that is my concern. These vehicles are all over the lot regarding their condition and equipment. Most 68Cs I have seen are painted garish colors, or the car needs repainting, needs replating, needs reupholstering, the top is bad, the wood is no good, they are missing key components unique to a 68C, mechanical condition is questionable, etc. Just because it's a 68C is no guarantee of high value. I am looking for a dark colored 68C with good paint, chrome, and stainless, in good mechanical condition, with all the right components there, and built to drive. Doesn't sound like a tall order, but it is.

• 1 month later...

If I may offer a bit of advice from experience? I've had more than a few guys come to me looking for very specific cars, much like the one you seek. However, I eventually learned that this is not a fruitful effort for me to pursue simply because no car ever measures up to all the requirements these guys have. For example, I've had one fellow looking for a '41 Cadillac 4-door sedan for the past 4-5 years. I must have shown him nearly 20 cars, but every one I showed him was not cheap enough, not nice enough, not quite the right color, or it needed something repaired. Guess what? They ALL need something, none of them are perfect, and unless you're ordering it new, getting really specific about colors and interior trim choices narrows the field to somewhere between 0 and 1 cars.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that these guys spend a lot of time looking for the ideal combination (whatever it is for them) and on rare cars, it is probably unlikely to be found. My argument would be to buy the very best car you can possibly afford, even if you need to reach a little bit--nobody ever regrets buying quality. Everyone says they "just want a driver" but what does that mean? Where are you willing to give up quality? What would you accept in inferior/deteriorated/non-functional condition? Do you see what I'm saying? You're hunting for an already rare car, and you've narrowed it down to some ideal combination of cheap, perfect, and in a rare color, a combination that may not even exist.

My advice is buy a nice one then get busy enjoying it. It may not be the exact color you want (I have never seen a 68C that wasn't Bronson Yellow, to be honest) or, if you're looking to save money, perhaps settle for one that DOES need a little work, like a new top or interior or tires or whatever. You'll save some money and get a car that you can tweak into what you want. But I've just seen too many guys sit on the sidelines for years and years and years waiting for something that meets ALL their criteria and all they have at the end of that period is more gray hair and no car, but now they have five fewer years to enjoy the car because they're five years older.

Get in the game, buy a nice one, have fun. Perfection isn't attainable, even if it's perfectly cheap and perfectly "driver grade." Sometimes "good enough" is better than you expect.

Just my $0.02.

• Like 2

As I stated in post #51, what I am willing to pay is kind of my business, but it all depends on condition and equipment. Now on to reply to Mr. Harwood's comments. I understand what you are saying--I am being picky for my own reasons. I began by looking for any Model A Cabriolet, but as I learned about these cars, I gravitated toward 30-31 since I am more of a 30-31 guy. As I noticed the asking prices, I gravitated more toward the 68C, not because its rare but because I prefer the styling to the 68B. I do not personally prefer Bronson Yellow and Seal Brown, which eliminates the great majority of the 68C's out there. I have no problem working on some given area like a new top, or brakes, etc. but what I have found is that most need not just a little but a LOT. I don't want a major restoration on my hands (been there, done that and don't want to go there again). Many people may not understand this, but if I don't find what I want, I really don't mind. I have a Model A to drive (no show car by any means) and if I did not have that I would still be content. Thanks for your comments. If anyone has any leads, I would be open to speaking with them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest CarolinaDan
On 12/18/2012 at 11:41 PM, likesL29s said:

Looking for older restoration, good driving condition 1931 Model A Ford 68C Cabriolet. Please advise price and condition. Reply to this thread or call 937-638-5955 or 419-582-2861.

Thanks,

Bud

Bud, I see you have been looking for a 68C for some time.   I just bought yet another car, and I am out of garage space and have decided to sell our 68C.   It is completely and professionally restored.   Ford Maroon with Vermillion wheels and pinstripe.   It has the original high compression head engine (an option which I am told is quite rare).   The car is really exceptional.   I attach a few pics.  You can reach me at 774-538-9293 or dan@dpmccurdy.com.   The price is $38,000.  I have also contacted another person looking for a 68C.   Thanks.    Dan McCurdy

68C-1

68C-2

68C-3

68C-4

68C-5

Edited by CarolinaDan (see edit history)

Guest CarolinaDan
On 2/20/2015 at 8:41 PM, likesL29s said:

Hi fellows. The green one on Fordbarn is not for me. It is a show car and a fine restoration--the price reflects that, I am after a driver. The one on eBay is OK but not quite what I had in mind. My budget is irrelevant--that is my concern. These vehicles are all over the lot regarding their condition and equipment. Most 68Cs I have seen are painted garish colors, or the car needs repainting, needs replating, needs reupholstering, the top is bad, the wood is no good, they are missing key components unique to a 68C, mechanical condition is questionable, etc. Just because it's a 68C is no guarantee of high value. I am looking for a dark colored 68C with good paint, chrome, and stainless, in good mechanical condition, with all the right components there, and built to drive. Doesn't sound like a tall order, but it is.

Just sent you a reply to a much earlier post.    Dan

He (L29) hasn't visited the forums since last November, so doubt he'll see your post...look back and see if he gave a phone number or email address to contact him...he was very specific about what he wanted....

I think price had alot to do with why nothing we ran by him seemed enticing.  I sent him one for under the 20 mark in turnkey but not concourse condition and he just shrugged his shoulders.  It met all the criteria he posted other than the one we didn't know, which was price.  

I'll have an open Auburn some day,  but I know I'll have to pay to get it and be a little flexible,  especially if I'm looking for some kind of a deal.  I will have one though. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hey guys I have a 1931 68C that I’m looking to sell if anyone is interested. It comes with brand new top wood and all the hardware brand new including new hinges header wood and brackets at the pillars. A brand new windshield and aluminum frame to mimic the original nickel one. And all new handles, hinges, and gauge panel all new nickeled. It was hot rodded in the 50s I was trying to bring it back to stock but reall wanna finish my T so here you go call or message me at+17577520966