'38 Self-Shifter gives itself and me a little Christmas gift...

Pete Phillips

I had to move David Corbin's 1938 Special with the self-shifter transmission from my garage in Sherman to my garage in Leonard this week. Ever since I awakened the car last summer from several years of no use/storage, I've had difficulty getting it to start out in first gear. It would do it when I raised the rear end off the ground and put it in gear with no load, but on the street, it would struggle and stumble and start out in third gear, then shift to fourth automatically when going more than 25 mph. So, I drained the oil (the transmission runs in 10-weight or 20-weight oil), poured in some B-12 ChemTool and maybe we put a little kerosene in it--I can't remember--ran that in it with the rear wheels up in the air, drained it out, then poured the old oil (which looked clean) back in, with the exception of the bottom inch of oil, which was dirty. Tossed in another can of B-12 for good measure and drove the car to the gas station. No change. Still started out in third gear.

I had to put the car on my trailer to move it this week, and dreaded trying to drive it up the trailer ramps in third gear, so I decided to back it up onto the trailer, since reverse works fine and it is geared low. Got it up on the trailer (not something I recommend doing by yourself!), hauled it to Leonard, and decided to unload it this evening. Mild weather, no wind, no rain, a good night to do it. Car started right up, drove off of the trailer, and it's a nice night, no traffic on the streets at all, the Leonard square is beautifully lit up with thousands of Christmas lights, so let's drive the car around the downtown square. It bucked and struggled and started out in third gear as usual, THEN when I got to the corner, had to slow down, and all of a sudden, the car decides to downshift into first gear, just like it's supposed to! It picked up speed smoothly, then automatically shifted into second gear at about 10 mph, just like it's supposed to! Wow. I zoomed around the second corner and it briefly shifted into third but I had to slow down for the stop sign at the third corner. So, the car down-shifted into first as I rolled up to a stop. Amazing! I stopped at the intersection, pushed the accelerator down a little, and the car started out in first gear, just like it's supposed to; shifted into second at around 10 mph, then downshifted back to first at the stop sign on the fourth corner! Of course, you have to push in the clutch when you come to a complete stop, or the engine will die. The Self-shifter is somewhat like a Hydra-Matic but with a clutch in front of it, instead of a torque converter.

My assessment is that it just needed to be driven a little more for the cleaning agents to work. There is a tube that accumulates fluid and pressure, and sends the oil from the rear gear set and pump to the front gear set (or maybe it's vice-versa, I can't remember from what I've read in the manual), and that causes the gears to shift at the right time. The transmission has no filter, so you just have to run a cleaning agent and new oil through it and drain it out, etc, etc. to clean it.

SO, the old car gave me and itself a wonderful Christmas gift.

For those who are interested, I think it will be going to a new BCA owner in Pennsylvania next year, although the sale has not been consummated yet.

The estate's '39 Roadmaster sedan is still for sale.

David is smiling down on us tonight, and telling all of his Buick buddies about the history of the Buick Self-shifter transmission and the brilliance of Charles Chayne and Walter Marr, and on and on...

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

post-32059-143139297492_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143139297501_thumb.jpg

Pete :

Thanks for the story of "The BUICK SELF-SHIFTER CHRISTMAS MIRACLE". Maybe you could submit a script to the "Halmark Channel". We know how contrary these things are if they are not run. If the car comes to Pennsylvania have them get in touch with me here in Chambersburg.

Merry Christmas!

Larry