Need Help in Gettin Me a Buick

Earl B.

I meant Hispano with a lovely stork, but I had IF on my mind, brain fart. Anyway I told the old guy I'd never pay the $1500 he wanted because it had too many faults and no one would ever appreciate the Cord under them. He didn't believe me so I talked him into going to a little car show in his area. People swarmed around the car all day pointing out incorrectness of various points on the car all day long. No one even noticed it ran and that he drove it while they Googled the engine number and stuff like that to verify everything met some level of their perfection.

I stopped by his place about two weeks later and he had scrapped everything, even the metal building. He said he had learned it wasn't worth having stuff that wasn't right. Too bad, I was going to offer $1750.

Bernie

B, I wrote that because all the comments on the pictures found some fault with the Cord. The cars are safe. I showed the string of messages to my wife and let her read that reply. She immediately remembered the 1981 BCA Nationals in Sandusky, Ohio when everyone had to inform me that my '64 Riviera didn't come with a vinyl top. I mean the message was constant, enough so she remembered 30 years later.

I thought there were some nice looking cars there too.

Now, it is a Cord and complete mechanically which is pretty neat to me. A bullet hole and a stork; pretty insignificant. Imagine if I had put this view in:

a0012.JPG

Guest Rob McDonald

BERNIE WARNING: he's pulling our legs, big time. Offers with two more zeros on the end might not even claim some of these beauties. What the heck is that landau-ironed Cord? It looks like a Dutch Darrin design - is that possible?

Now, regarding our reason for being on this thread: c'mon you folks in Wichita, KC, or Oklahoma City! Speak up and go look at this old Roadmaster for Packard32. Maybe he'll change his username to Buick55.

Guest Rob McDonald

I noticed that plus-sized beauty, too. If you're tempted by one of those, I do know of a pretty good 2-door '57 Roadmaster for sale in southern Alberta.

It sat in storage for a long time but is out and about now. It seems to be in the same shape as mine was - a solid runner with little rust, decent but tired paint, and a usable interior that'll need redoing someday. I saw pictures of it a year ago, so I'm a little fuzzy now, but I think it's the same colours as TG57Roadmaster's car - Dover White over Dresden Blue, with the same blue interior as his and mine. Sorry, no idea of the asking price - or if it's even still available - but I'd be happy to inquire if you're interested.

Paint Chips 1957 Buick

Rob, stirring it up a little keeps things going and that correct Roadmaster just might materialize.

And the thought of me pulling anyone's leg; and a warning in caps. I find B's search interesting and enviable, plus he picked a very desirable car. I have always had a list of cars I wanted. The '64 Riviera has been on it since 1964. The Impala SS, about ten years. Being on the list and searching for one never seems to coincide for me. In 1978 I was looking at a 1973 Lincoln Mark IV when I bought my Riviera. In 2002 I thought I had bought a parts car with lots of good pickin when I bought my '60. Last year I was looking at later Lincoln Town Cars, Jaguars, and Silver Spurs when I bought the Impala SS. I bought the convertible just because I have more money than brains sometimes.

It is a combination of peripheral vision and budget that has brought me together with my cars. Our paths crossed at just the right time. One observation I have made over the years, the cars I paid a fair market value for are sitting in the garage or were worn out from good service. The bargains, well, they were passed on to new bargain hunters..... REAL SOON.

Bernie

Rob, I appreciate the offer, and I may well be sorry for not taking you up on it, but, for now, I'm sticking with my search and hoping for the best.

FT, why the 1964 Riviera instead of the 1963? My guess is transmission. We had a 1963 and that is what I learned to drive on...B

Subtleties beyond the transmission like the bombsight hood ornament, script on the deck lid, and "R" taillight trim are noticeable to me. And I like the concept of a small Buick even if it only by a few inches.

I am from a stong matriarchal family on my mother's side. In 1964 my actual favorite was the black Electra pillared sedan, a very imposing car. My grandmother O'Brien had just traded her black '54 Roadmaster in for a black '62 Invicta so the "smaller" cars became acceptable. All the sons in law strove for a new Buick to be in her graces. As a close grandson, at 17, two years later I bought a black '60 Invicta flattop myself. The desire for a Riviera grew over the years until I was 30 and figured I better get only to keep.

Bernie

"B", you put in a pretty tall order. 2 door 54,55 and 56 Supers and Roadmasters are pretty scarce and pretty high dollar when found. Finding a really nice driver for under 20K is hard to do.

But I believe this here might be the Buick your're looking for:

buick 1956 super 2dr. ht.

What do you think JohnD? Pretty sweet eh.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Mr. Earl, It's worse than you think. What I'd really like to have is a 1955 Roadmaster 2dr. I've found one but from what I can see in the pictures, it needs more work than I can do.

That '56 Super is a beauty for sure!!....B

For the car and the work tha's been done to it and the money though, you gotta admit it could be a nice buy. Looks like original interior from the one picture. I'd probably shed the continental kit though. I love the french curve roof line of all the 54-56 Supers and Roadmaster and think it even looks better on the 56's because of the lowered stance of the front end that year. Just plain damn sexy in my opinion. But sorry I didn't read the post where you had narrowed it down to a 55. MrE will keep on a lookin.

1956 buick super 2dr. hardtop with continental tire kit many new mechanical parts=new radial wide whites,new gas tank and sender,new wheel bearing new brake cylinders,drums turned,new shoes,new power steering seal,new dual exhaust many new misc parts. runs excellent . very little rust since the car came from calif about 10 plus years ago. call 2six2eight5three2two9four

3na3Fc3ob5I75Nf5M8cc18c6870df97bd1fbe.jpg

3E43F43H95I45E75Jdcc10725ab3e62b815dc.jpg

post-31987-143139310876_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Packard 32, I am glad you are looking for a 1955 Buick Roadmaster 2dr Hardtop. I think you are going to have get a little more realistic though. Mr. Earl's find of a 56 Super is pretty awesome. I am not sure what your exact budget is but you are probably looking for a Super. I know the car you are referring to in KS as I track 1955 Buick sales a great deal, it was a Super.

Are you comfortable with a Super? Are you willing to travel for this car? What is your absolute top dollar? The deal with cars is you just have to pay to the very max of what you can afford to get the best product to start with. I will look for some hits for you.

For the car and the work tha's been done to it and the money though, you gotta admit it could be a nice buy. Looks like original interior from the one picture. I'd probably shed the continental kit though. I love the french curve roof line of all the 54-56 Supers and Roadmaster and think it even looks better on the 56's because of the lowered stance of the front end that year. Just plain damn sexy in my opinion. But sorry I didn't read the post where you had narrowed it down to a 55. MrE will keep on a lookin.

1956 buick super 2dr. hardtop with continental tire kit many new mechanical parts=new radial wide whites,new gas tank and sender,new wheel bearing new brake cylinders,drums turned,new shoes,new power steering seal,new dual exhaust many new misc parts. runs excellent . very little rust since the car came from calif about 10 plus years ago. call 2six2eight5three2two9four

3na3Fc3ob5I75Nf5M8cc18c6870df97bd1fbe.jpg

3E43F43H95I45E75Jdcc10725ab3e62b815dc.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]169669[/ATTACH]

Thats a very pretty car Mr. Earl! Taking off a continental kit is not that hard, btw.

you are talking about a different car! Sorry, there was a beautiful Super for sale in Kansas very recently, sorry about that! I also dont think youre rude at all, people get too sensitive on these forums! If you need any references for this car, let me know as I have one. Seriously though, consider a super its exactly the same car, and you will save significantly.

Bests!

Eric

Eric, I know they are 99% the same car, but, I guess it's the name that I like... and too, I largely grew up with Roadmasters....

If you know someone who could do some detective work on this car, I'd appreciate it greatly. I cannot make out the state on the plates. From what I can tell, it is not a Kansas plate...B

Guest Rob McDonald

B, I get how the name on the trunklid is important. Owning an old car is never a rational thing. That a Super is not quite a Roadmaster is important to you, even though you're fully aware there's not much difference. It's like not being able to marry the girl of your dreams - her unmarried sister may be very nice but she's not the same.

Heck, I'd just drive to Hutchinson and get the "girl" you know you want. Google maps says it's only two looong days from NC and there's only about 43,000 people living there. Driving up and down every alley couldn't take more than a day or two and you're bound to find the shop where this blue and white beauty is stored.

Okay, maybe that is a bit ridiculous. Keep looking, though. A Roady coupe that suits you will show up, eventually. Just don't be too fussy about it being blue. Like my own dear wifey's hair colour, that can be changed.

"B", you put in a pretty tall order. 2 door 54,55 and 56 Supers and Roadmasters are pretty scarce and pretty high dollar when found. Finding a really nice driver for under 20K is hard to do.

But I believe this here might be the Buick your're looking for:

buick 1956 super 2dr. ht.

What do you think JohnD? Pretty sweet eh.

That is a SUPER SWEET Buick!!! Kinda makes me want to paint mine...

This is one I've found, and look what can go with it... problem is I'm not sure there's 8 tires and wheels between them and it's a loooooong ways away... plus, the expense of moving two cars...B.

Whoa, now that's a project! If I may ask what are they hoping to get out of this pair of beauties?

Eric, This car went to Spokane and I called about it then and it had already been sold. A real heartbreaker.... As to the field Roady, no price has been discussed yet.

Rob, instead of ambitious, I think the phrias you need is mentally deranged.

Here's the main problem to me... getting enough tires ON wheels to the cars, and having lug nuts to keep them on... I'm not sure exactly how many wheels and tires are there.... then, getting TWO cars to NC from over 2000 miles away... I think anything you'd need are pretty much on the sedan, except the drivers door glass, which the back door of a sedan may fit the drivers door... anyone know? I'm guessing the front clips are the interchangeable, and the windshield...are they the same...sedan to coupe?...Ok knowledgeable people...help me out here....B

Eric, This car went to Spokane and I called about it then and it had already been sold. A real heartbreaker.... As to the field Roady, no price has been discussed yet.

Rob, instead of ambitious, I think the phrias you need is mentally deranged.

Here's the main problem to me... getting enough tires ON wheels to the cars, and having lug nuts to keep them on... I'm not sure exactly how many wheels and tires are there.... then, getting TWO cars to NC from over 2000 miles away... I think anything you'd need are pretty much on the sedan, except the drivers door glass, which the back door of a sedan may fit the drivers door... anyone know? I'm guessing the front clips are the interchangeable, and the windshield...are they the same...sedan to coupe?...Ok knowledgeable people...help me out here....B

B,

Unfortunately you are going to find that just about nothing is interchangeable on these two cars, some trim pieces and thats it. Glass, no , metal, no.

I really think you should dig through the Buick directory and just reach out to some people that have them and want to sell them. Mine wasnt for sale, I just asked the man who owned it, gave him my number he called me back about a year later and it was mine.

For some perspective, my car is what I would consider a presentable driver and I paid 20K for it.

Good Luck!

Eric, When you don't know, you gotta' ask...Well, I do anyway.... Since the Super and Roadmaster are practically the same car, why wouldn't the front clip fit? A 2dr. Super front clip would fit for sure, wouldn't it? B