1952 power steering disassembly question. Pic inside

rapidride2

post-71387-143139293873_thumb.jpg

Hello. It seems that I have scored a rare power steering system for my 52' with a straight 8 320.

However it is out of state and it was pulled as a complete assembly with except the steering wheel. My question is...Can I have disassemble the black column sleeve from the blue steering box? (I believe there are 4 bolts) This way it will ease in shipping because as of now it is around 6ft long. Will the steering shaft come loose here? Anything to lose here?

Well, it looks VERY similar to a 55's PS unit. In ehich case you can remove the outer jacket (housing) but the column itself will still be part of the PS unit requiring major disassembly to separate. Removal of jacket will save you no more than an inch or so......................Bob

Great find - pre-56 units the shaft cannot be separated without disassembly of the unit and I wouldn't recommend it as Bhigdog indicated. Shipping my 55 unit from Binghamton NY to St Louis, for reference, cost me almost 100 bucks UPS - that was the gear and pump, and I had to build a wooden crate and clamp it down in there. Hopefully my situation was worse case learning experience and you can do better. Good luck!