ramps vs epoxy - epoxy 1, ramps 0

RIVNIK

Here's one for the books! I spend a lot of time under my Riv with it up on old school metal ramps.....in fact I've been running all manner of vehicles up on ramps for decades without incident. Then I painted my garage floor with an epoxy type floor paint. Since I sometimes like to lay right on the floor for extra clearance , I opted to leave out the grit. The first time I tried to put the Riv on the ramps, she got about 6" up and the ramps shot out like two cannonballs, flying into the far wall and missing my wife by inches. ( I let her guide me 'cause it makes her feel important, even though it's easy enough solo, and I think that's pretty big of me, don't you guys?) I really think she could have been seriously injured. Now the ramps will be relegated to driveway use only! Has this happened to anyone else? Anyway,moral to the story.....Look the_ out!!!! p.s........ being a Riviera owner & enthusiast in Fla. is a lonely hobby... probably because we're so long & skinny....any kind of club activity usually means driving my Precious Riv way too far to meet up with four or five old crates in some motel parking lot....If I go it's in my Subaru. Why don't some of you nuts should leave the snowstorms & hurricanes behind for year round sunshine & warmth, and don't forget to bring the Rivs ! Drew#4675!

If you choose a spot in the garage where you will always service the car on ramps you can drill four holes and drop shields in them with some 1/2" bolts screwed in some the heads work as a brace. Go deep enough and you will have a handy anchor point for a little body pull if needed.

Bernie

My company installs coatings (urethanes, epoxies, etc) on comm'l and industrial concrete areas. We always use grit- light stuff for foot traffic or more coarse for car traffic. Reason is two-fold/ grit absorbs wear and tear , but more importantly prevents, up to a point, slipping and sliding. We dbl it up in turning lanes, and sometimes we opt out of doing ramps due to idiots who fly downhill at speed then wonder why they plant themselves in the parapet wall.The systems actually work better as they "break in" because the grit, or "aggregate" punches thru the top coarse and provides more traction.

Guest wildcat465

I stick a three dollar outside floor mat under the ramps on my smooth epoxy floor. Just make it so that you drive the tire on the mat before climbing the ramp. Never moves.