Sign in to follow this  
Magoo

Up on the roof with Harley Earl

Before there was a Tech Center in Warren, Harley Earl used the roof of the GM Research Center, aka the Argonaut Building, in Detroit as his design courtyard. Throughout the '30s, countless new models were viewed and photographed there.

Here's a little story about Harley Earl and the Argonaut Building with plenty of photos, including some rare prototype cars:

Up on the Roof | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

buickyjobleftfrontview.jpg

Chrysler Corporation used rooftops for display areas, too...

Yes, indeed. Quite so. We were going to include photos from Dodge Main and the Packard, too, which is interesting because they were all in same general part of town.

In some pictures that wereon the old www.Plan59.com website, I believe it was Mr. Earl who found some pictures, on a GM building/plant roof top, of a high fashion model and a '54 Buick. In the background, you could see part of Flint. That particular roof top was not very "scenic", though.

Thanks for the links and information!

NTX5467

I like this thread. Great subject.

The photo in your signature has fascinated me for years -- giant Buick hood ornament, etc. Wish I had been able to see it in person. Just the idea of it is pretty awesome.

The photo in your signature has fascinated me for years -- giant Buick hood ornament, etc. Wish I had been able to see it in person. Just the idea of it is pretty awesome.

I have always liked and found it fascinating also.

Watch my posts in the near future on this parade float.