NEW MOTTO

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

Don't send any more Riviera's to the crusher. If they run make them safe and make them pretty. They are to much of an underrated piece of history to distroy. The only problem with them is MPG. Get a Hybrid as a daily driver if you are worried about your carbon foot print. I say this with light hearted jest but frankly these are great cars to play with.

I'm doing my part. Saving and restoring two 65's. One a 401 Deluxe AC car, the other a fully optioned GS. Unfortunately, my parts car was way too far gone to save.

The carbon generated in the production of my '60 and '64 Buicks has been degrading naturally for 52 and 46 years, respectively. I am pretty sure there are a couple of Bessemer smelting pots running at the Prius plant and a few volatiles escaping from their paint process. Because I own more cars than a sane person you can factor in that I only drive the two about 1500 miles a year each. I'm so green I can't conceive of a government program to destroy a couple hundred thousand operational vehicles and create a big carbon footprint making new replacements. As my kids would say when they were younger "Duh."

Anyone have a comparison between manufacturing a new car and the operational cost of a used one and where the durability in years of service and MPG cross?

Bernie

STEELCO-i know what you mean-i have a 63 parts car that ill get rid of this spring(because of room for the other 3)when i look at it there are so many parts that could still be used.its got a running 401-fred flinstone floors-trunk- so ill sell hopefully to someone who can use the rest of parts-because i wont have the heart to crush it.t.nugent roa 12969

Guest Steeleco

My other 2 cents: I guess you can't fault a guy for sending a carcus to the bone crusher when they are really doing up their other cars right! My only problem is I like driving my Riviera around so much I'm affraid I will start using it as a daily driver.

OK Steele: I am basically constitutionally incapable of parting most cars I like. With that in mind I have parted five First Gen Rivs. Only three in the last few years. I probably could break up a few more but I'm with Steele on this one. They'd have to be way beyond anything to rebuild for me to do a chop, part and squish. And here they are.........

1. 1973. A white on white 63 Riv. Custom power windows no a/c. It had been parked in front of a friend's neighbor's house for several years. I got a lead that a local high school had a black/white custom, a/c 63 Riv donated to their auto shop because the engine had scattered. I checked it out and for a 10 year old car in New Jersey back then it looked fairly good. I had wrecked my 64 Corvette and had a gentleman help me put it together. It came out spectacular so I asked him if we could do the same thing with this black Riviera and he agreed. We put all the good parts including drive train into the black car and it came out great! I sold it at a collector car auction in early 1974 and I scrapped the white 63.

2. 1977. The engine in my black 65 Riv was so bad that I couldn't drive it anymore (blow by in the passenger compartment). There were several other issues and because I really loved it and drove it every day I decided to find a parts car to supply the parts to fix mine. I got a black on black 64 Riv, custom power windows and a/c. It was clobbered in the back. I switched all the dead parts I could including the engine, leaving me with a really nice running 65 Riv for many years. I sold that black Riv to some guy who was trying to start a collector car wrecking yard.

3. 2007. I found a gentleman on selling parts on Craig's List and we hooked up. he sold me a 65 , white standard, power windows, a/c turquoise body. The engine was out of it and he took a few parts for himself. I purchased the car trailered it home and dismantled the entire car on my trailer, finally sending the carcass to pick your nose wrecking.

4. Currently. It's a 64 silver and black, silver standard no a/c. power windows. This car had the engine scattered and I have it out of the car. The rear quarters by the rear aprons are pretty much all gone as well as the sail panels and around the back window. Oh, there are no floors. This car was parked in the woods in Woodside, CA. Rats got into it and the entire trunk was basically mulch. Woodside gets little sun and it is in the forest so it stayed wet all the time. I got tons of parts from it and I still have it.

4. Currently. I picked up this 63 Riv which is kind of a tease. It's turquoise with a white custom, power windows and a/c. No rust on this one. Sounds pretty good hugh? It had already been parted and the drive train, steering column and several interior pieces were gone. It's also in need of paint and a ton of other stuff so it's really a parts car. I pulled the front clip off for my 64 build. I had all the pieces media blasted and they were painted right away. For practice I re-assembled the rusted front clip from the car I'm building and placed it on the parts car. I also had several parts already reconditioned so my build went quicker (it still isn't finished because of other reasons) and i had practice assembling the fresh front clip on the car i am putting together.

\

So, there's my 40 year history breaking up First-Gen Rivs. I'm thinking between several West Coast guys that I know of, they have probably broke up more that 100 units with in the last 10 years. Remember, these people specialize in parts and a complete and running driving car is their meat and potatoes.

Today, the 63 would have well worth saving but at the time I paid $100. for it and sold it to the scrap man for the same amount after I

transferred everything. The 64 was really pulverized from the back and the frame was bent like a pretzel so that was a no go. The 65 I thought about, but it had no motor, the rest of the car was really rough and because it was from San Francisco it had major rust issues because it was parked by the water.

For now I have most of the sheet metal I need for fixing up several of my cars. There will awalys be certain pieces I that I don't have and will need, but for the most part several really horrible cars were dismantled to get many more good cars going again. Mitch

I agree. I have a '65 parts car that is so bad that when I have all the stuff I need off it I am thinking of making yard art out of it. No broken wagon wheels. wheel barrow/toilets full of flowers or old rusty tractors in front of my house, I want a lowered '65 maybe in flat black and blacked out glass so you can't see that it is just a shell...

Mike

p.s. I'm in the country in 5 acres with no CC&Rs to worry about. :D