Anyone have a picture of the oil can mount/holder on a 32 Buick?

v12lincoln

I am not aware of oil cans cowl mounted on 32 buicks. For sure they were not a standard factory part. I have never seen them on any factory or dealer option lists either. For the most part, when the rocker arms went under a cover, there was no need for the oil can on for regular use.

I have gone back through my collection of 32 Buick engine bay photos and I have none with the oil can mount.

Bob

V12lincoln,

The mount in the photo looks exactly like the one used on my 30-68. I believe I may have a spare one that I can part with if needed. The correct oil can for this mount can be a hard one to find. An example was just auctioned on eBay last week for around $200. I paid about the same for mine as well.

You might want to check the firewall of your car for a pair of holes in the same location as that shown in the photo to see if one was mounted there originally. The one on my car was mounted in the exact same spot.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Mine has the holes for the oil can mount in the same location as the one in the picture above. I ordered the ford mount and found a nice copper plated oil can at the local antique swap meet for 2 bucks.

Just finished making the hood props for the car so its coming together.

What does the correct oil can and holder look like??? any special markings?

The correct mount is exactly as shown in the photo with no special markings whatsoever. It will only accept an oil can with a 3 1/8" base which is not common. Here is a link to the correct can that was sold on eBay. It was a NOS can (same as mine) which accounts for much of the high price:

Vintage Original Buick Oil Can Auburn Dodge Hudson Packard Studebaker Stutz REO | eBay

Guest Texas Old Car Guy
Thanks for the pictures. Will have to try to find an original can and holder. My can looks just like the picture above from 60flatTop.

v12lincoln: Believe it or not, my 1922 Buick has two oil can holders mounted to the firewall and each one has what appears to be an original oil can sitting in it. They look just like the one Bernie posted a photo of on his 1932 Model 90. I am restoring my car and know they didn't come with two cans or two holders. I can take a closeup photo of them in the morning if you are interested. Maybe someone added the extra one over the years to save a trip walking around the car to get the oil can (ha). The car has been stored in a barn for the last 65 years and I bought it 30 years ago as a "future retirement project" - I recently retired and have disassembled the car to begin the restoration. Here's a photo below what the firewall looked like as I disassembled the car. Send me a PM if you want close up photos of both the holder and the can - I only need one. You can click on the photo to enlarge it and then click on it again to "super size" it. As it turns out when I bought the car it came with an extra cowl and that cowl also has an oil can bracket on it - therefore I have three and only need one. I just went out to the barn and took a couple of photos with my iPhone (not great quality) and the bracket on the lower left side of the cowl appears to look similar to the one you need. The one on the upper firewall near the horn opening is the one I believe is correct for my car - I'm also attaching a photo of a friend of mine's 1922 Buick showing his oil can and mounting bracket (his car was the cover car of the July 2012 Buick Bugle magazine) and the oil can is identical to both of my originals.

post-66120-143139302223_thumb.jpg

post-66120-143139302249_thumb.jpg

Fred

post-66120-143139302245_thumb.jpg

post-66120-143139302247_thumb.jpg

Edited by Texas Old Car Guy (see edit history)

Guest Texas Old Car Guy
Fred,

I am not V12lincoln and cannot speak for him, but for the record the bracket(s) found on your 1922 Buick are considerably different than those used on the later cars.

Thanks,

Michael:

For all I know, one of the oil can mounting brackets was added later over the years and could have been a 1932 one (ha) - anyhow, just letting v12lincoln know where he can find a mounting bracket for his oil can that came off an early Buick. At least I know the bracket will work with a can like he has. I have two cans, three mounting brackets and only need one of each.:)

Fred