post-64921-143139289096_thumb.jpg

Day 1

Chassis is a '29 Studebaker touring with 20" 72 spoke wires

Engine is a Chrysler Industrial 413 CI six

Cowl is '29 Buick

Radiator shell is Packard

Fuel tank is Fordson tractor

Guest Fast Four Special

We have only had the engine running briefly on a stand. All appeared to be well. We have four of them, but have found a couple have small cracks migrating from the center row of studs.

We were planning on using these in a second Bonneville race car but the current rules would render them uncompetitive against OHV motors of the same era, even with their 12 port design.

These things are monsters, weighing in at over 1000 pounds.

Can't wait to hear it chugging down the road at 1800 RPM...

The limitation of the L head has always been losing breathing capacity as you raise the compression ratio. Instead of planeing the head down, have you considered using a turbo or supercharger to boost the compression? Or is the plan to keep it fairly stock and just grin your way down the track? I'm envious that you have found 4... I've never seen one in this neck of the woods. (Manitoba, Canada)

L head breathing/ compression. Most L-heads are extremely strong with lots of material and space to work with. I have seen ,and read about,

in days gone buy of boring holes down threw the head into the intake main chamber and mounting downdraft carbs directly threw the head, with a modified valve cover. This was done to a lot of Essex 4 racers and some L- head Hudsons.

Guest Fast Four Special

I'm not sure if you guys looked at the link to our Bonneville racer in my signature or not, but if you do, you'll see that we've managed to get almost 240 RWHP out of our blown '28 Dodge flathead four banger.

The speedster project is not going to be a race car. Just a super-sized old jalopy to utilize all of the old parts laying around the ranch.

The SCTA rules for vintage engines are pretty strict. It wouldn't be permissible to make the modifications necessary to compete against blown Wayne-headed GMCs...

Although it pretty amazing what the Hudson Boys have done in the past.

Happy Holidays!

Your Fast Four Special is a wonderful thing that I've just become aware of... had I known about it two months earlier I would almost certainly have visited you on my recent trip to the US...

Keep up the good work, I will be coming through there again some time!

Guest Fast Four Special
Your Fast Four Special is a wonderful thing that I've just become aware of... had I known about it two months earlier I would almost certainly have visited you on my recent trip to the US...

Keep up the good work, I will be coming through there again some time!

Thanks Ray!

There are alot of guys with "Salt Fever" down under. We have a few guys come all the way from Australia to crew on our Bonneville car every year. Last August we had three Aussies staying at my house for the week before we went to the Salt. It always takes a while to get used to passing the shifter, spanner, and texter instead of the crescent, wrench, or sharpie. Fortunately, "beer" seems to be universal.

Thanks for your support

• 2 weeks later...
Guest austinsailor

I'd followed your 4 banger salt attacks over the last year or two but didn't know you'd tackled the big boys.

I've been looking for a 413 but haven't found one yet. Missed one by a month or so, by the time I got it tracked down it had gone to Europe a month earlier in a container.

I do have 2 331 CI versions, though. One in a '47 road tractor I'm restoring, and one is sitting on the shelf. The 47 runs and drives, and sounds cool as heck out the cab stack with no muffler to mess up the music.

Just this morning I ordered an overhaul gasket set for the other. Not sure what it'll go in yet, but it just has to go back on the road. Rat rod, old panel truck or who knows.

Assuming you have a transmission in yours yet, I'd be curious what you're using. the big truck boxes aren't real practical so some mods are in order. I've thought about a 700R4, shouldn't be too hard to rig up. With the torque these guys have, maybe all that is needed is a clutch and high gear!

With the 12 ports, 6 fuel injectors seem practical as well.

Anyway, please keep posting whatever you do to this beast. As a total flathead mopar junkie I am sure looking forward to what comes of this.

Guest Fast Four Special
I'd followed your 4 banger salt attacks over the last year or two but didn't know you'd tackled the big boys.

I've been looking for a 413 but haven't found one yet. Missed one by a month or so, by the time I got it tracked down it had gone to Europe a month earlier in a container.

I do have 2 331 CI versions, though. One in a '47 road tractor I'm restoring, and one is sitting on the shelf. The 47 runs and drives, and sounds cool as heck out the cab stack with no muffler to mess up the music.

Just this morning I ordered an overhaul gasket set for the other. Not sure what it'll go in yet, but it just has to go back on the road. Rat rod, old panel truck or who knows.

Assuming you have a transmission in yours yet, I'd be curious what you're using. the big truck boxes aren't real practical so some mods are in order. I've thought about a 700R4, shouldn't be too hard to rig up. With the torque these guys have, maybe all that is needed is a clutch and high gear!

With the 12 ports, 6 fuel injectors seem practical as well.

Anyway, please keep posting whatever you do to this beast. As a total flathead mopar junkie I am sure looking forward to what comes of this.

Thanks for the kind words. Sorry for the delay. I've been busy working on our other project ~ our '36 Dodge truck that we're building as a pit truck for Bonneville. I'll post progress on the super-sized speedster as it occurs.post-64921-143139332051_thumb.jpg