Random Pictures of Really Cool Cars

alsancle

• 4 weeks later...

I attended a fun parade in the town of Essex, CT, this past Sunday (that's January 27, 2013--so a bit of a "double meaning" with the word "cool," heh, heh...), called the "Essex Ed Groundhog Parade," which I guess is Essex's way of having some fun with the concept of "groundhog day," but probably a lot more just about having some fun outdoors on a mid-winter Sunday!

Here is a recent local news article that gives a bit of background about the event:

http://www.theday.com/article/20130116/NWS01/301179740/1006/zip06&town=Old-Saybrook&template=zip06art</SPAN></SPAN>

And below are a few photos I took of several of the fantastic old cars that participated in the parade:

post-34222-143141729424_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141729435_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141729439_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141729443_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141729447_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143141729451_thumb.jpg

Then there were some ceremonies at the conclusion of the parade, where the gigantic "Essex Ed" icon was paid appropriate tribute by the assembled throngs, with guest speakers, fife & drum corps music, and more.

(I will have to go back and see if I can add that last shot...)

In all, a super-fun day in a beautiful New England town!

EDIT: Here's that overview of the ceremonies at the end of the parade. That gorgeous '25 Model T Ford in the left foreground is the car that towed Essex Ed in the parade on a small trailer.

post-34222-143141729455_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Guest Graham Clayton
I'm ashamed to admit I don't know what this car is, but I thought it was a pretty cool looking ride.[ATTACH=CONFIG]166705[/ATTACH]

54nuyorkrwagon,

The car is a 1919 Meisenhelder, based on a Paige 6-55.

Roy Meisenhelder was a Pennsylvanian coachbuilder and body repair business:

1919 Meisenhelder 6-55 Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com

Here is a very nice 1939 Chevrolet with an Australian "sloper" body:

Photo from the web.

This sloper has two access lids on the `slope' : the top one is the boot – and the lower one holds the spare wheel. Some of the early models had folding rear seats which gave access to the boot and were ideally suited to traveling salesmen. If they could not find lodgings , they could fold the seat down and sleep the night in the car.

post-88629-143141736208_thumb.jpg

Guest whiskytutu

The Cord has been my father-in-law's dream car since he was 13 years of age. Over the years he's gone and looked at a few but none of them were "the one". Last year he came across an ad and my in-laws made the trip to check her out. Well, he decided that she was the one so my father-in-law, husband, brother-in-law and I went to pick her up. The car was owned by a couple who lived in a floodplain and had the Cord suspended in the event of a flood - the problem was, the husband had since passed and the jacks were constructed in such a way that we went through 4 hours and plans A, B and C to figure out how to get her down. As you can see, we were successful and she is simply stunning.

Chrysler Windsor, notice the doors [ATTACH=CONFIG]176517[/ATTACH]

That would be the VERY rare "Sedambulance" that Chrysler had made. Part sedan, part ambulance. Notice the nameplate on the fender side. Here is the 1953 version.....

post-37352-143141739736_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

• 3 months later...