Sign in to follow this  
ted sweet

1977 electra air cleaner?

anyone have a pic of a correct set up. the air intake house on my car does fit the end of the snorkle. maybe a piece is missing?

i has the 403,and has an air intake mounted on radiator support next to the batttery

Haven't found a pic yet....shouldn't it be a duct? like on earlier Buick 455 engines?

75rivstcharlesMO11.jpg

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)

As I recall, the Olds V-8s had a "duct" which started with a plastic "end" that went into the air cleaner snorkle, then had black "paper" ducting stapled to it, which then slid onto the plastic "duct" that popped into the core support. I know that was very common on the early '80s Olds 307s in the B/C chassis, but it sounds like it went back earlier in time, too. The picture of the Buick 455 is similar in configuration to the Olds set-up. The core support end of the reinforced paper probably had a releasable clip which was activated to remove or install it to the front "duct". The front item probably also had a crosshatch grillwork of sorts to keep larger debris out of the system.

Just some recollections . . .

NTX5467