Pontiac Flathead Indentification

Guest Charles999

Guest Charles999

Hello to the group. I am in process relocating my parts from one location to another. I've had 2 NOS flat heads for quite some time now and would like to get them to those who could use them. I can't find their part numbers listed in my 50 or 55 MPC and now question whether they are Pontiac or not. The part number for the six is 505213 and the number for the straight 8 is 512121. Thanks, Charles

hi charles999, i also checked in my 1954 pontiac master parts catalog, and the part numbers you posted are not there, i suspect what you have maybe for oldsmobile, the last year for the oldsmobile straight eight was 1948, for the oldsmobile straight six was 1949. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor. p.s., pictures would help.

Guest Charles999

Thank you for the reply. I will get pictures and figure out how to post them in the next few days. I've had them for several years and would like to see them go to a new home free of course to someone that would be able to pick them up in N.E. Georgia. Thanks again, Charles999.

These are defenately Pontiac heads with part numbers like this. Pontiac changed numbers often, so you will need several years of books to find them. Sad part is, they are not really worth much as they are not needed very often. Good luck Kurt, Pontiac partsman for over 50 years.

Guest Charles999

Thanks Kurt, I'm 95% certain they are Pontiac as well. I'll check my other books to see if I can find them hiding in there. Unfortunatley there are some items that need to go and I really hate to see these heads which survived half a century or more get scrapped. If I can't locate the numbers I will post some pictures as a last ditch effort. Charles

Guest Charles999

Update, found the 6 cylinder head part number in an older parts catalog. 505213 6.5 ratio 41-48 P6. I'll keep looking on the straight 8 head. If anyone needs or wants this or both heads please come pick them up in N.E. Georgia for free. I would love for them to find a new home. Thanks, Charles

• 6 months later...
Guest VintageFlathead

Hi Charles999,

We are now a half year further down the road, but do you still have the straigth 8 head??

Arjan

Guest Charles999

I sure do, if you know someone that is close enough to come by Hoschton, Georgia and pick up it's all yours for free. I still have the six head as well and you are welcome to that as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest VintageFlathead

Hello Charles, great of you to react very quickly via a PM, but I haven't heared from you since.

For everyone reading this post, the 512121 is the L-head for a Pontiac straigth 8, the standard compression head. It's on my 1948 engine.

I think I will need a new one but live in the Netherlands, Europe and it's impossible to find one here.

The engine is now at the engineshop, we will see.