Countdown to Teves Conversion (O/T Buick Electra)

Guest crazytrain2

Guest crazytrain2

Hi guys,

I am trying to get my ducks in a row the best I can before going forward with my Teves to Vac Assist Brake Conversion. I've managed to find a Vacuum Power Booster w/4 port master cylinder and rear proportional valves from a 1989 Olds 88. Plan is to use flaring tool, adapters and tube bender for front brake lines.

Then for the rears I plant to remove Tee / proportioning valve and run 2 new lines from the proportioning valves back to the existing lines (disconnected from old Tee / proportioning valve)

This new vac assist power brake system is non ABS so I doub't I can rewire anything to make Amber ABS Warning light go out. but hope to wire the low fluid warning light if possible. Suggestions?

A final concern I have is whether or not the plunger will mate correctly (drilling out diameter would be no big deal) and whether the stroke will be adequate.

I'm attaching some pictures I foung of Brake Line Routing with TEVES, Brake Line Routing with Std Vac Assist Power Brakes and a diagram of brake pedal / booster push rod interface.

If nothing else others may be interested.

PS. Still interested in what sizes are for the nut & threads for brake lines attached to TEVES. Also need the same for brake lines going to and from the Tee / Proportional valve.

I more than welcome any suggestions and or constructive critisism.

THANKS!

post-57038-143139283496_thumb.jpg

post-57038-143139283485_thumb.jpg

post-57038-143139283493_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rawja (see edit history)

Guest crazytrain2

Thanks Dave and I'm way ahead of ya. I read that post "Teves Debacle" several times along with many others before coming up with this.

Padgette had mentioned something in another thread about the hydraulic linee pressure of a Vac Assist Power Boosted brake system not having nearly the same pressure as what the Teves puts out which may render existing Tee / Proportioner valve innefective. Other schools of thought included plugging off one of the (rear brake) ports on the master cylinder as opposed to Teeing the line for the single rear brake line. But that IMO creates the potential that if one line blow you would only have one functional brake. I also considered putting proportional vale on one set of ports (top and Bottom) and splicing those for the rear. This should assure front brakes or rear brake functioning should a line blow.

Finally I've resounded myself to removing the old prop. valve, run new rear lines from master cylinder prop valves back to where the old P/V was and tieing into those fittings. I'm still as nervous as a dog in a Vietnamese Restaurant about the power booster lining up with the brake pedal and have adequate stroke.

Does anyone know the 3 brake line fitting size(s) threaded into TEVES and or the 3 brake line fitting size(s) threaded into the TEE / Proportioner valve (back by the rear drivers side tire)

Thanks

The conversion is very simple. I would suggest finding a different doner as I doubt that the 88 will be a direct bolt on afair. Find a Eldarado, Riviera, Tornado, 91 Reatta or Siville. This will bolt directly on to include the pedal. I have done it already and it is very straight forward if you use the above models. The firewall and all other mesurements are the same. I know the 88 used the teeves but they are different platform so the firewall may have different mesurements. Also if you use the original Reatta pedal you will need to weld a piece of metal to extend the brake/cruise switch interaction plate.

Guest crazytrain2

Thanks D-a-n-i-e-l,

Keep in mind though that my car is a 1989 Buick Electra Park Ave. Ultra. From what I can tell the diameter of the boosters for those cars are to big for my car. I believe it's use would be hindered by the windshield washer pump on my car (see pic) . I'm sorry for the confusion and will be even more sorry if I'm wrong.

Any thoughts on the nut size and flare type of brake lines lines going into the bottom of the Teves. I also sure hope the booster push rod lines up ok with the brake pedal, still has me nervous.Thanks again D-a-n-i-e-l snd Daves89!

post-57038-143139284981_thumb.jpg

Thanks D-a-n-i-e-l,

Keep in mind though that my car is a 1989 Buick Electra Park Ave. Ultra. From what I can tell the diameter of the boosters for those cars are to big for my car. I believe it's use would be hindered by the windshield washer pump on my car (see pic) . I'm sorry for the confusion and will be even more sorry if I'm wrong.

Any thoughts on the nut size and flare type of brake lines lines going into the bottom of the Teves. I also sure hope the booster push rod lines up ok with the brake pedal, still has me nervous.Thanks again D-a-n-i-e-l snd Daves89!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]166248[/ATTACH]

With all due respect... If your Teves brake conversion is not compatible with the Reatta, to me this thread is posted in the wrong place. It will cause a lot of confusion with Reatta owners seeking information on how do change their brakes to the vacuum assist booster. It should at least have a warning in the first post that it is for an Electra Park Ave. Ultra. Just my 2 cents.

With all due respect... If your Teves brake conversion is not compatible with the Reatta, to me this thread is posted in the wrong place. It will cause a lot of confusion with Reatta owners seeking information on how do change their brakes to the vacuum assist booster. It should at least have a warning in the first post that it is for an Electra Park Ave. Ultra. Just my 2 cents.

I dis agree, This is the one forum on the net with a vast amount of info on this system. I would not move this posting due to that fact alone, but the vehicle modle should be a little more prevalent in the post. I must have missed it earlier. guess that is what you get when one is doing far too many things at once.

Guest crazytrain2

Ronnie, I understand and apologize for the confusion. I always try to limit any questions / info or advice to topics which are relevant to both vehicles. ie. THE Teves Mark II ABS, the 1989 3.8L "c" engine and components and the 440-T4 FWD Transmission. The knowledge base on these topics (and others) is second to none. I can only hope you understand and forgive me.

Ronnie, I understand and apologize for the confusion. I always try to limit any questions / info or advice to topics which are relevant to both vehicles. ie. THE Teves Mark II ABS, the 1989 3.8L "c" engine and components and the 440-T4 FWD Transmission. The knowledge base on these topics (and others) is second to none. I can only hope you understand and forgive me.
I think what I was thinking and what I wrote were not the same. I don't blame you at all for coming here for help. I understand completely. I would do the same thing. I didn't intend to mean the thread or any posts should be deleted or moved (even though it sounded like I did). I just thought it should be made clear that this conversion was not for a Reatta and due to that this may not be the ideal thread for a Reatta owner wanting to convert his car. Sorry that I didn't make myself clear. I apologize.

Errr no. I said the electrohydraulic PowerMaster (Grand National) ran at 770 psi as opposed to the Teves 2200. How much pressure you need is dependant on the caliper piston size, not the rest of the system.

Doubt that I would ever convert but if I did, a trial with both rear ouputs teed to the one Teves rear line might be worth while. For that matter if fed from a common resovoir, just running one line and plugging the other might work. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the rear calipers and the hydraulics don't care. (YMMV, Notary Sojack and all applicable weasel words. Brakes are a safety item and should only be messed with if you really know what you are doing).

That said the Teves on mine all work fine and I have spares so have no intention of changing.

ps if you must, make sure you use a M/C designed for 4 wheel disk brakes, something is rattling around my brane that others are liable to have check valves.

Edited by Rawja (see edit history)