How much drag is too much?

page2171

Hey Brian - just curious - did you try cranking the adjuster all the way out tight, and with the drums on step on the brake to try to seat the shoes first, then back off I think 7-10 clicks? And it still hits? Top curve of the shoe is fully seated on the anchor pin? Both driver and passenger shoes are the same? Big shoe in back on both sides?

Establish a little drag on all of them, hit the pedal a few times, then starting on the front, adjust tight, then back off until just scraping as Chris said. What I do is count the clicks on one of the fronts from full tight to when it can free spin about 1 revolution by eyeball, then set all the wheels to that as a starting point. Adjust +/- a little from there until they all feel the same. Then they wear in on their own.

If a drum is cut too big, the center of the shoe hits vs the whole shoe - takes a while for that to wear in. If just the top is hitting and everything else is equal seems like it wants to seat correctly.

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)

Ken,

No, I haven't tried cranking the adjuster all the way out tight. With it all the way in it was hitting when I put the drum on. I pumped the brakes a few times to try to seat the shoes, but maybe I need to crank the adjuster out to get the rest of the shoe to make contact with the drum when I pump the brakes. It looks like the shoe is seated on the anchor pin, but maybe I should take the drum back off again and check to make sure.

Sometimes drive miles will be needed to seat the shoes. Sometimes it takes a few tries at adjustment for equal braking side to side with no pull when applied. Also, recheck your installation on the side giving you issues. If all looks correct, adjust until you just hear scapping. Take the car for a test drive. Check for pull under braking.

PS. The top of the shoes will always hit the drum first. The hydraulic action of the wheel cylinder makes this occur. The adjusters push the bottoms out but the majority of the heat friction will be generated at the top of the shoe.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Guest NikeAjax

What I had suggested to me a long time ago was get it as good as you can, then, drive it down the block with your foot lightly touching the brake peddle: it worked every time for me. Also, if you know where it's hitting, or thereabouts, take a sanding block to the area, and knock it down a wee-bit... Yeah, I already know I'ma dirty Commie, trouble maker, or whatever you wanna call me:p

Just a thought,

Jaybird

• 3 weeks later...

Airy Cat is right. Seems to indicate anchor pin is a bit forward on the driver side.

I had to do 2 of 4 on my '40 ltd last year after relining.

Put the drum on and tighten the shoes up against it. Loosen up the anchor pin, (outside top center of the backing plate).

Stomp the brakes a couple of times, and retighten the adjuster again. Should be just a few clicks, and tighten up the anchor pin. Then back off the adjuster till the wheel just barely drags. This is very subjective. Test drive and adjust for "pull".

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

If all the prior suggestions fail, you may want to have the drums turned and shoes arced (assuming you can find a brake shop to do it). Another thing that can cause pulling is the short parking brake cables to the rear wheels. If one fails to completely release, it will result in a drag on that wheel and possibly result in pulling.

kaycee

Depending on where you bought the brake shoes it could be that the set you have has two different size shoes. I would take one off of the passenger side, and compare it to the drivers side to make sure they are the same style. I don't know if i'm sending you on a goose chase, but I have had this same problem before. Some LAPS sell a set of shoes that has a longer shoe for the rear of the drum and a bit smaller one for the front half. Lots of people make the mistake of putting the two longer shoes on one side of the car which will cause it to drag even if adjusted all the way in. Sorry if this doesn't apply here just a thought. - Dan

Edited by dan@larescorp (see edit history)