Forum opinion on value of '77 Electra Limited

Rich Morton

Hi all,I was contacted by a local fellow who is trying to get help in determining the value of a '77 Electra Limited, gold in color with what he says is a "plush" interior.It belongs to his girlfriend and he was not certain about some of the details about the car when quizzed by myself.He says the car has a rebuilt engine.When I asked what size it was he said he thought it was the 455 to which I replied I did not think that was possible.In light of that I think it is most likely the 403.He says it has in the neighborhood of 100 K miles.When asked why the engine was rebuilt he said when given the choices by me of mechanical issues or just tired he said just tired.It has the Landau top and factory mag wheels.He is member of the Ford club so was just asking for Buick input.He estimated that the car is in "#2" condition.I have not seen the car and I know this query is highly subjective but thought I would throw it out here for some opinion.The car is located in Cleveland ,Ohio so that also brings the thought of potential rust issues.Any help I can get here is appreciated.I am currently doing some online research such as completed E-bay results,Nada,etc and intend to get back with him sometime later today with whatever I find and thoughts received here.Thanks in advance,Rich

Rich

It won't be a 455, last year was 1976, unless they put it in, which would technically de-value the car. Too many variables. It's not a # 2 car in any case, due to 100,000 miles and as you noted - salt belt location. If it's a 2 door, it's "maybe" $2500 to $3000. A 4 door, it's a $1000 to $2000 car.

I would add that this car is very difficult to value sight unseen. It's right in the age range where visual contact can spark interest from a sentimental aspect. I think older cars sort of sell themselves just by their age. But 30 year old cars are often not considered classics just by age alone. So the values Bryan estimated could be high unless this seller is willing to wait for the right buyer. But it makes sense for a seller to start with a value thats higher since it is much more difficult to raise the price rather than lower it.