Weatherstrip Installation

I will soon be replacing the roof rail, door, quarter window, and trunk weatherstripping on my 63 Olds Starfire. I already have the new parts but am not sure what type of adhesive to use in duplicating the factory installation. If anyone else has done this on a similar GM car I could use any other appropriate tips.

If you bought the correct door seal it should have little plastic clips about 4 in. apart that snaps into holes in the door. There should be molded ends attached with screws. Original door seal used metal clips moulded into the rubber. No adhesive should be necessary. The roof rail and trunk rubber can ge glued on with 3M Weatherstrip adhesive available at most auto parts stores. Use the black as it looks better with black seals. FOLLOW the directions on the tube! You apply a coat to each surface and let dry. Then apply another coat to one surface and attach. Make sure you position it corrctly as there is not much time for correction. The quarter window seal should slide into the chrome moulding on the leading edge of the quarter window glass. No adhesive should be needed. Make sure you familiarize yourself with the correct way the weatherstip fits before attempting to install it. I can't tell you how many cars have weatherseal installed incorrectly. It should be pretty straightforward on hardtops and converts. as most of the seals are moulded to shape. Good luck!

While you're at the body supply getting the weatherstrip adhesive, also get a spray can of 3M Weatherstrip Release Agent, and a can of wax and tar remover (Prep-Sol, DX-90 or similar). Then go to Harbor Freight or similar and get a set of plastic scrapers like these 4 Piece Nonmarring Scraper Set. The release agent combined with the scrapers will get most of the old adhesive and weatherstrip off. The wax remover will then clean the channel so the stuff has a good clean base to stick to. I have a set of small picks I use to get tough globs of old glue out.

EDIT- Don, forgot to mention that when you pull the old w/strips off, note where the factory used adhesive on them. On the doors, you'll probably find it near the ends and maybe a few inches down, to where the retainers start. Trunk channel will usually have adhesive the full perimeter of the opening, and you should cut the rubber a little long and then try not to stretch it too much while installing it. The key to roofrail is to make sure you fully seat the moulded areas into the retainer channels. Those scrapers come in handy for tucking it into the channels too.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)