Removing wiper arms

petelempert

I'm sort of embarrassed to ask: What the best way to remove the wiper arms from the hood cowling on a 63? I have a later GM product where they gently pull off with no nut holding them to the posts. I've seen Fords where the arm bolts to the post. Mine are on really tight. The manual doesn't say if they have a retaining nut or they pull off. I can't see past the stainless cover. I've been trying to coax them off, but I feel like I'm gonna break something. I hate to pull too hard or bust something is there is a trick to it. I can see where somebody was prying on them years ago and I'd like to avoid messing them up more. What's the secret? Thx PRL

There's a small clip on the bottom of the arm that needs to be released. If I remember correctly, you pull up on the clip to get it out from under the knurled part of the shaft. The spring in the arm will cause the arm to sit on the shaft at an angle. You'll need to release that pressure at the same time you release the clip. If you're an octopus, it's easy.

Ed

I have run into the same problem, Pete. There is a tool sold that gets under the edge of the arm where it slides down over the splined shaft. That helps pry it up off of there.

Look at Lisle tool #65750. Available at lots of auto parts stores for about $5-10.

I have run into the same problem, Pete. There is a tool sold that gets under the edge of the arm where it slides down over the splined shaft. That helps pry it up off of there.

Look at Lisle tool #65750. Available at lots of auto parts stores for about $5-10.

You guys are great. I'll try to get the tool and try it. Almost reached for the really big screwdriver last night...glad I didn't. Thx PRL

You guys are great. I'll try to get the tool and try it. Almost reached for the really big screwdriver last night...glad I didn't. Thx PRL

Jim-That tool really did the trick. Got it for $4.50 at O'Reilly. Any other way of removing the wiper arms is a recipe for disaster. They both came off in about a minute. Thanks again. PRL

• 1 month later...

Not sure. Haven't put the wipers back on yet. Getting the car painted. The tool is designed to pry off the wiper stud, so I don't think the tool will work for re-installation. That said, I presume that if you can bend the arm upward at the joint with the spring, it will dis-engage the lock that holds it to the stud. Once you position the arm over the stud and allow the spring to engage...the lock will engage. Let me know what works...I'll be putting mine back on in a few months. Thx PRL

The next trick is getting the escutcheon nut off (it sits beneath the wiper arm). I had to fabricate my own "tool" for that one. It wasn't pretty but it worked. I was never able to find the proper escutcheon nut wrench on line and it may be a handy tool to have. If anyone knows of the proper part number for that tool it would be appreciated.

Not sure. Haven't put the wipers back on yet. Getting the car painted. The tool is designed to pry off the wiper stud, so I don't think the tool will work for re-installation. That said, I presume that if you can bend the arm upward at the joint with the spring, it will dis-engage the lock that holds it to the stud. Once you position the arm over the stud and allow the spring to engage...the lock will engage. Let me know what works...I'll be putting mine back on in a few months. Thx PRL

Jim (in this thread) mentioned a Lisle part # 65750 which is also Autozone's part #49023. I've never heard of a Lisle lol. Anyway, this tool will help in the installation of the wiper arms also. It holds tension on the spring loaded base in the proper position for install. Once the arm is back on over the base you can push the retaining click back up into position with the side of a flat screwdriver.

The next trick is getting the escutcheon nut off (it sits beneath the wiper arm). I had to fabricate my own "tool" for that one. It wasn't pretty but it worked. I was never able to find the proper escutcheon nut wrench on line and it may be a handy tool to have. If anyone knows of the proper part number for that tool it would be appreciated.

I must've been lucky with that watcha-ma-call-it nut. They weren't on very tight. I used a screwdriver to loosen them by tapping at each edge in the right direction. A few taps & then I used my fingers. I'm sure I won't be as lucky when I go to try and put them back on lol