Location for rear "Gran Sport" emblem?

Guest sailor

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of redoing my 65 Riv. GS and I'm wondering where to put the rear "Gran Sport" emblem?

I found some 65's with the GS emblem at the rear right side below the Riv emblem and some on the left side...

What is the right place? Somebody told me that the early 65's had it below the Riv emblem...???

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Andrew

OK Andrew: There were only two rear locations. If it's a large badge it's on the left of the rear body panel. if it's a small emblem it's on the right below the Riviera emblem. Which ever side it's on you can make a template from a car that has the emblems.....or perhaps someone on the forum has a template they can get you and you can start drilling the exact spot. if you're still not sure find another car or another person to verify that both locations are identical and then start drilling. Mitch.

Thanks guys,

the cowl tag says "04B --> 4th month 2nd week"

It has holes which are closed and painted on the left side...

But if this is no difference I like to have it on the right side...I find this cooler and I have to drill anyhow...

Andrew

Andrew,

Given your build date the 'Gran Sport' would have been on the left side, and used the larger script. The ROA web site has a very good article on identifying a gran sport here: Riviera Owners Association - Gran Sport. According to the article they switched the script and position in mid December of '64.

Keep in mind that if you use the larger script emblem, it may not fit on the right side below the Riviera script. So be sure to measure twice and drill once. :-)

Good luck.

OK Andrew: After all that, would you like to borrow my drill? Mitch

:D...I asked my wife and she said she's ok with mine...;)

Serious...I checked out today the big emblems for the fender and I just don't like it. In my opinion the smaller ones look better with the Riviera emblem...

Sight...I will go with the small ones even though it is not "original"...:rolleyes:

Thanks everybody for the help! I appreciate it very much!

Andrew

You might not like the aestetics of it, but you'll definitely not like the feedback you'll get from a prospective buyer if he thinks that you're trying to sell him a clone. The informed buyer will know exactly what to look for. Those future extra bucks might make you like it a little better by putting the original size in the original place.

If you'll look at previous threads on this forum that discuss the value and originality of Gran Sport Rivieras, you'll find the the littlest thing will really bring down someone's preception of the car. Each little thing chases away prospective buyers.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Ed,

you are absolutely right!

But the 65 Riv. was always my favorite and I can't imagine that I will ever sell it. After I'm gone somebody might find out that he got a real GS with small signs...;o)

Just kidding...

Thank you for your honest opinion. I always appreciate this!

Andrew

Who will only sell it over his dead body...:cool: