1916 Stutz Bearcat Exhaust 'Chimney Connection to Stromberg Carburetor

Guest cshbc@aol.com

Guest cshbc@aol.com

I am trying to get pictures or drawings of the connection from the flexible pipe that comes off the exhaust to the Stromberg carburetor. The engine is a 4 cylinder Wisconsin T head. The starter motor is fairly close to carb intake requiring that an elbow of about 90 degrees will be necessary to keep the flex pipe off the starter motor from what I can see. The intake manifold ices up in cool weather externally and the car runs poorly as a result. I am hoping that if I can get some exhaust heat into the carb intake it will help the car perform better in cool weather.

I look forward to hearing from some knowledgeable Stutz and Wisconsin engine people. Thanks for your help. Gary :):confused:

Guest cshbc@aol.com
What kind of intake manifold do you have? I think most 1916s have a water heated intake manifold. Picture?

Hi Mr. Layden,

The intake is aluminum and is warmed by the coolant. Despite this set up, the low end of the intake manifold ices up externally and condenses in warmer weather. The rear end of the carberator is designed to accept a flexible tube to provide heat and appears to be missing a ring that can be rotated to open holes to allow cool air in warmer conditions. I would be glad to forward you pictures if it would be helpful. My email is CSHBC@aol.com.

Thanks for your help, Gary

All the Stutz cars that had heating used either preheated air from the exhaust manifold OR water heated intake manifold. That being said there is no reason you could not add a preheater. A flex pipe from an exhaust stove does not have to carry all the carburetor intake air and it does not require very much heated air to do the job. You could try a bushing on the carb intake and a smaller size flex pipe and don't worry about the control ring for now as you may find that full open (minimum heat) is still too much heat on a nice day ( the gas in a glass bowl Stromberg looks like a chamagne glass when it boils).

Guest cshbc@aol.com
All the Stutz cars that had heating used either preheated air from the exhaust manifold OR water heated intake manifold. That being said there is no reason you could not add a preheater. A flex pipe from an exhaust stove does not have to carry all the carburetor intake air and it does not require very much heated air to do the job. You could try a bushing on the carb intake and a smaller size flex pipe and don't worry about the control ring for now as you may find that full open (minimum heat) is still too much heat on a nice day ( the gas in a glass bowl Stromberg looks like a chamagne glass when it boils).

Thanks for the reply. The thought of boiling fuel next to the distributor does not make me feel good.