Sign in to follow this  
T-Head

The history, design and use of the Moto-Meter

MotoI.jpg

After getting started on replacing the thermometer on the early unit shown here, we were interested in finding out more about its history, design and use and have posted a detailed article you will find interesting on the Moto-Meter at The Old Motor.

We have dug deep and come up with many period articles, letters and ads and have also learned much more about it in the process. Also covered in multiple photos, are an early and a later (teens) unit as seen above.

MotoVI.jpg

Thanks for that post. Very interesting, particularly the explanation for the non-submerged bulb, something that always had me puzzled.

Here are two photos of another temperature indicating device, a British-made Calometer which I use on my Model Ts. This too has a non-submerged bulb and the manufacturer claimed it superior to the Motometer as, with the glass face both front and back, the car's headlights would backlight the gauge after dark allowing easy monitoring of temperature any time of day.

post-59237-143139272609_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143139272614_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that post. Very interesting, particularly the explanation for the non-submerged bulb, something that always had me puzzled.

Here are two photos of another temperature indicating device, a British-made Calometer which I use on my Model Ts. This too has a non-submerged bulb and the manufacturer claimed it superior to the Motometer as, with the glass face both front and back, the car's headlights would backlight the gauge after dark allowing easy monitoring of temperature any time of day.

Thanks for posting the photos of your Calometer, as I want to do another post on The Old Motor about some of the other brands that are available.

If anyone has any other interesting units let me know and I will include then in the next feature.