A great street of St. Louis, Missouri, in the early 1950s filled with cars

Guest T-Head

post-65489-14313926685_thumb.jpg

This is one of three enlargements of a photo we have up on The Old Motor. This street scene in St. Louis, Missouri, taken in the early 1950s, shows us the busy intersection of Vandeventer (US 50) and Market (US 40) looking northeast. The brick building on (left) hand side, is the Fruehauf Trailer Company factory branch. On the (right) hand side is a Mohawk Tire store.

We are trying to date this photo by the newest car to be seen here, check this photo out and the other two enlargements and let us know what you see here?

This is a era that I am out of touch with, not good at identifing these years, but the one vehicle that caught my eye, was at the far right of the split-screen photo (follow the link above), facing the building, a 2 door coupe. The view is a rear quarter view of the car. Can one of the experts from the membership identify that car? It looks interesting.

Thanks,

Chuck

This is a era that I am out of touch with, not good at identifing these years, but the one vehicle that caught my eye, was at the far right of the split-screen photo (follow the link above), facing the building, a 2 door coupe. The view is a rear quarter view of the car. Can one of the experts from the membership identify that car? It looks interesting.

Thanks,

Chuck

'49 Chevrolet.

... Did you notice the two bathtub Nash's?

As the owner of two Packard 'tubs... how could I miss them! My parents bought a lemon yellow Nash bathtub in either '49 or '50. The instrument pod was truly unique and the 'make a bed' fold-down front seats were nifty. I don't think the pointy hub on the steering wheel that was aimed right at your thorax was their best design idea. My dad t-boned a guy that ran a red light in downtown L.A. and we ended up with a new '54 Ford Ranch Wagon.

Edited by JD in KC
typo (see edit history)

Thanks to all for dating the newest car. Did you notice the two bathtub Nash's?

Yeah, it's pretty hard to miss them. The one hoping someone will let him in is clearly an Ambassador. Look at that long hood! There's enough room under there for a Buick eight. Alas, no such luck, though. One thing that I've always thought to be true about bathtub Nashs (also about step down Hudsons, for that matter) is that the long wheelbase cars were just a couple of inches too long, and the short wheelbase cars were just a couple of inches too short. Not criticism as such, just personal taste, I guess.