64 at Mecum. 16 November Eye witness report

Guest 1963 Riviera

Guest 1963 Riviera

Hey guys,

I was fortunate to be in LA and went to the Mecum on Friday 16th.

I got there about 1.30pm the Rivi was due on the deck at 6.50 so I had a bit of time to kill. and WOW it didn't disappoint. The centre was divided into three massive halls. Thursday, Friday and Saturday with the Auction deck being in the saturday lots. The crowd was healthy but I expect it would have been packed on Saturday. I will guess and say they had about a 50% clearance rate. After salivating over the cars I headed for the 64 and spent about an hour going over her.

She was Arctic white , black interor, silver headling, ac, power seats.

Duco was as fresh as new, could not access the trunk, and engine bay was clean and tidy.

The only wear I could detect was weather strips and window felts could do with replacing.

So with what I know now, IMO, I would have rated her at 2+ or -1.

So with the clock counting down I grabbed a VIP seat ;) and out she rolled.

Bidding started at 10K with very few bidders riding her to 20k at which it got passed in.:( I enquired about the reserve which was 29.5K (bargain)

What do think guys ? was it the colour? or the year? opposed to a 63, It was a disappointing result anyway.

Regardless, it was the best 15 bucks I have spent for a long time.

BTW did anyone catch it on the tele. I am interested to hear what they said about it.

Nick

I agree with Tom. If I were selling the car, I'd have taken the 20k. A '65 would have gotten closer to 29.5 (but even then, with the wear on the weatherstripping, maybe not).

IIRC, the buyer also pays a premium on top of that, so they would be paying more.

I think this is the car: 1964 Buick Riviera Hardtop for sale by Mecum Auction

I am going through my cars to make sure my wife can sell them easily if I drop dead. She also knows two prices. One if I am alive and one if she doesn't have me around and needs a quick sale. Taking an example from this car the quick sales price should go smoothly because I will:

Leave her with the original wheels and wheel covers.

my inner fender wells were not "used car dealer flat black detailed" the wires around my electrical distribution box are still factory colors.

I will leave her original trunk cardboard and matting.

The new seats, once installed, will be squeaky clean and free of puckers.

I am planning to stick around for another 30 years or so without retiring. Last week my doctor told me to make it 36 just to plan on an even 100. I might have to bump that quick sale price if I go that long.

20 grand for that auction car? I would have taken it, budgeted $6,000 for the nicest black '96 Roadmaster I could find and put the $14G in a tin can in the garage.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Guest Steeleco

Bernie,

Did you ever recover your seats? I think you were gonna try Clarks seat buns for the front and back. Do I remember that correctly?

Thanks

OK Riviera People: I think 20K was way beyond the money. Remember, the higher the price the pickier I get. I'm sure if I saw it in the flesh I could have made a long laundry list. One thing I can say with confidence is this, there are STILL a tremendous amount of UHQ buyers out there who have deep pockets and really know quality. If this car were a UHQ example 30K would have been a done deal.

20K is typical of collector car auction cars like this and the only way this car would fetch that 20K is in a full service Dog and Pony Show. Try to sell this on Craig's List for anywhere near this and you will be very angry from prospects offering much less. You will think they are low balling and perhaps trying to steal it and again, perhaps you are adamant about giving it away, but then the sellers don't make the market, the buyers do. Nevertheless, the market is what it really is and except for the Auction venue I feel this car would struggle to bring 13K. If it were offered to me locally for 10K I would give it consideration and still might not jump. A white/black 64 Riv is great, but for all the money I'd like one with much greater individuality and sex appeal. Mitch

Hey guys,

I was fortunate to be in LA and went to the Mecum on Friday 16th.

I got there about 1.30pm the Rivi was due on the deck at 6.50 so I had a bit of time to kill. and WOW it didn't disappoint. The centre was divided into three massive halls. Thursday, Friday and Saturday with the Auction deck being in the saturday lots. The crowd was healthy but I expect it would have been packed on Saturday. I will guess and say they had about a 50% clearance rate. After salivating over the cars I headed for the 64 and spent about an hour going over her.

She was Arctic white , black interor, silver headling, ac, power seats.

Duco was as fresh as new, could not access the trunk, and engine bay was clean and tidy.

The only wear I could detect was weather strips and window felts could do with replacing.

So with what I know now, IMO, I would have rated her at 2+ or -1.

So with the clock counting down I grabbed a VIP seat ;) and out she rolled.

Bidding started at 10K with very few bidders riding her to 20k at which it got passed in.:( I enquired about the reserve which was 29.5K (bargain)

What do think guys ? was it the colour? or the year? opposed to a 63, It was a disappointing result anyway.

Regardless, it was the best 15 bucks I have spent for a long time.

BTW did anyone catch it on the tele. I am interested to hear what they said about it.

Nick

I was watching it on TV when it came up. All they said was it was a low mileage 54K car. Mecum did not say too much else. Then the bidding stopped at $20K and was not sold. If you happen to notice, car after car did not sell. I think they only sold between 6-8 cars in an hour & half time period. It looked like a nice driver. Top bid was spot on. Too many sellers expecting grandiose prices. The one that did shock me was the 57 Chevy Belair that had a frame off totally correct restoration and topped out at $41K with a no sale.

Bob Bonto # 277 ROA

Technical Advisor 71-73

Note that the website ad says "Believed to be 54,000 miles". That's code for "we forget to ask the owner and he forgot to tell us". The bidders priced it as a 154,000 mile car. If I were to price the car as a buyer I would need an impeccable provenance with an unbroken string of service receipts in order to support the claim.

The car is medium-to-low optioned:

* It doesn't have the hi-performance engine option (dual quads, etc)

* No posi (if it had it they would be sure to mention it)

* The power windows exclude the vent windows

* No 4-note horn or guide-matic

* No rear arm rest

* No cruise control, rear defroster, or power trunk release, no power antenna or FM radio, no remote side mirror

There is no mention of condition of the underbody.

It is a very fine looking car (I really like arctic white). I think that if it had been a true 54k miles car with more options it would have gone quite a bit higher.