1962 Super American 2 door station wagon

Guest Bryan59Windsor

Guest Bryan59Windsor

Hello and good day all...

I'm looking at a 62 Super American 2 door wagon... it's spent its life here in Santa Barbara, having about 70K miles on her currently... the present owner states that she's not driven the car in a couple years due to a battery drain issue.

Body and interior seem to be solid and in good shape, no rust, slight pitting on trim... Car used be pink (interior paint still is) but body has been painted a cream color.

Anyone know about this car? ups or downs of this model? I've been a finned Chrysler man all my life, but this little car is very appealing... great small size, fun car, but I find VERY VERY little online about this model...

many thanks in advance!

Bryan

Edited by Bryan59Windsor (see edit history)

Typed a long reply and lost it so here goes again. The engine will be either the L-head 195.6 or the overhead valve version of the same engine. The L-head is only 90 hp so it's not a race car. The OHV is 128 hp so it's noticeably more torquey especially at low speed. The unitized body is pretty rattle free, just like Amc advertised. You'll need to take car of that old engine by torquing the head bolts as soon as you get the car. They'll need to be re-torqued on teh OHV engine every few thousand miles. They are both solid lifter engines and have forged crankshafts and connecting rods so in that sense they are overbuilt. One weak point is the front suspension if not properly maintained. You'll need to keep the trunnions properly lubricated and inspect for wear. If you buy the car you'll need to learn to maintain that suspension or find a gray-haired mechanic who understands it. There's a lot of info on the internet to help you now. If the windshield leaked or if you have the rubber floor mats instead of carpet you can have rusty floors even in California and that can be more serious on a unitized body that body on frame. Driveline parts are still available although some parts for the 195.6 are getting pricey. Good luck with it and if you buy it join the AMC forum at theamcforum.com Joe