39 Buick 40 Special Coupe Interior?

oldstudemike

Guest Grant Magrath

Yes. All of the above. But the trim code is on a plate on the firewall. It's a three digit code that if you post here, we can tell you what the deal was.

Cheers

Grant

In this thread in posts 36-37-39 is a table of interiors available

http://forums.aaca.org/f165/1939-buick-upholstry-options-269416.html

(someone should a have remembered that thread ;) )

I have retyped that into info into MS Excel and made a pdf

Mike:

Expect it be code 700 Novelty Bedford Cloth in Tan or 701Mohair Fabric in Taupe

Leather was an option

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

I'm still keen to know what the cloth/leather combination patterns were. That thread is a blast from the past! A lot of stuff has happened since then. Not all of it great.

Cheers

Grant

Guys: I don't know exactly what the cloth and leather combination patterns were save for the small picture in the 39 sales catalog showing the front seatback of the Model 46C done with a combination trim. I assume it would look similar to the patterns used in many of the postwar convertibles. Other makes of cars used combined cloth and leather on the seats as well. I linked in to the 39 Upholstery Option thread Allan referred to. My small spiral bound 39 Color and Trim Booklet may answer some points raised there on leather trim codes and usage.

For Series 40, Trims 702 through 708 are for leather only and are listed for both sedans and coupes. For convertibles, Trims 752 through 758 are for leather only while Trims 759 through 765 are for cloth and leather.

For Series 60, Trims 702 through 708 are for leather only and are listed for both sedans and coupes. Trims 766 through 772 are for leather only while Trims 773 through 779 are for cloth and leather.

For Series 80, Trims 723 through 709 are for leather in sedans only as there were no Series 80 coupes. For convertibles Trims 780 through 786 are full leather, while Trims 787 through 793 are for Bedford cord and leather.

For Series 90 Trims 734 through 740 are leather for sedans (Models 90 and 91) while Trims 745 through 751 are for Model 90L. The Booklet notes that when Trim 746 (Brown Leather) is used for the rear compartment, the front compartment uses Brown Leather as well. Front compartments with all other 90L trims use Black Leather.

This listing should help break down the Trim # listing as shown in the Master Parts Book list posted by Leif.

I've posted only the Trim#'s that use leather. I do have the cloth only Trim numbers if any one needs them.

Hope this is of some help.

Guest Grant Magrath

Great info as always Dave. But I'd still love to know what was cloth and what was leather in the combination cars. In my copy of The Encyclopedia of American Cars 1930-42, there's a shot of a 39 two door with a sunroof, and the front seat back has a panel going across the top of the seat about a third of the height, with vertical pleats under it. I wonder if that was a combo? Door panels leather or cloth? Headlining? Intriguing.......

Cheers

Grant

Grant: I'll bet Earl Beauchamp can answer that better than me. I've wondered about your question as well. I can recall, though, that a 1939 46C I owned had Trim Code 764, cloth and red leather. A few scraps were left of the interior. What was left of the rear compartment and folding seats appeared to be leatherette. Door panels were leatherette as well. No front seat came with the car; but my plan was to follow that picture in the Sales Catalog by bringing the leather panel down the front seat back as you described. I assume the bottom cushion had a matching panel that started at the leading edge, then moved back about a third of the way. I also assume the front seat back panels and the front seat side panels were leatherette as well. The cloth of the front seats appears to be a flat cloth vs. Bedford Cord. Seems to me Lewis Jenkins had a nicely restored one back in the 90s.

Guest daveagain909

my 1940 buick special 4 door sedan has the trim code 800 on the Plate, what color and material does that mean? the car is paint # 547 (Yosmite Grey)

Guest Rob McDonald

Almost off-topic: I really like '39 Buicks. I also like '49s and '59s. Every ten years, they seemed to really hit the bell. I like '69s too but only the Skylarks. Now back to our regular programming...