1957 Caballero Project - Neat Photos

Guest BJM

2-1957 Buick,s Cabellero and 2 door hardtop

wagon is pictured here,florida and mn snowbird car last driven 1966

no frame rust at all,doors all work well

has rusty rockers and floor pans but new ones come with,4 new floor pans and inner and outer rocker replacements are new[will sell these seperate]and ca for less

stainless and chrome very good esxept outside the rear bumper pieces

has power steering,power brakes,power seat, and power windows

$3850

also57 2 door hardtop ,same power options and rust but no replacement panels $2500.

firm so be prepared ,both have newer radial tires and roll ez

320-444-6491

3E93Ka3Hf5F75H75Jacbf51b1deff37e414f3.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

BRYAN, you saw the photos that were on CL - did this car stand out for you? Does it look any better than the average car that's sat outside for 45 years? $3850 is a lot of money for even a cool wagon, when it needs absolutely everything.

The thing that may make it better for me than some is that I have a radiator, an intake and carb, a P/S pump and or a motor if that would be necessary. I also have nice rear bumber ends, a nice set of doors if needed. I would probably pick up the pair of extra rust free front fenders for a couple hundred bucks. If I could get car and fenders bought for $4000. He says he has a guy that will deliver it to South Bend for $650. Still a lot of momey for a BIG project! How about some input as to whether you guys think it is too much money? Pretty rare beast! What ya say?!?!?!

Thanks,

Gary

Guest Rob McDonald

GARY, don't listen to me, I'm stuck in a time warp where 4 grand buys a good runner - with floors. Come on, they built 16,000 of these beauties - there are plenty still out there. If I lived in Minneapolis (although I hear St. Paul is nicer), I'd offer a quarter of that. However, I'm not looking for a project at any price.

Edited by Rob McDonald (see edit history)

Sorry guys. Last time I checked on this post there were no responses. I agree with Adam, this was a total restoration project and not one of those "tweeners" that you might be able to ride/drive.

I made no price comments but it is over-priced and my vibe from comments would be that he would not be too negotiable. I liked the photos because you don't see a whole lot of Caballeros.

I apologize for not posting more photos. I had no idea it would be flagged. Perhaps it was flagged when someone called him and maybe he flamed out on him, not sure.

When I spot these ads I think others might take interest in either to buy or as a curiosity, I try to copy/paste as many as possible but sometimes I lose track of my cursor spot and so for this one I just had the one photo.

Not saying it wasn't a solid desirable project, just not $3800 worth in this so-soft market. I would say, hhmm, maybe a $1500 type car. If inspected and there was found to be minimal rust, then a person would be saving a lot of money. Also, someone needs to confirm it's a Caballero. I always get that wrong and Pete Philips catches that mistake I make all the time.

The thing that may make it better for me than some is that I have a radiator, an intake and carb, a P/S pump and or a motor if that would be necessary. I also have nice rear bumber ends, a nice set of doors if needed. I would probably pick up the pair of extra rust free front fenders for a couple hundred bucks. If I could get car and fenders bought for $4000. He says he has a guy that will deliver it to South Bend for $650. Still a lot of momey for a BIG project! How about some input as to whether you guys think it is too much money? Pretty rare beast! What ya say?!?!?!

Thanks,

Gary

Gary no doubt it is worth it and I like the colors IF that's original. All white, throw on some Buick wire wheels from fifties, wow. Can't remember the interior colors but remember I think this car having some options.

I wouldn't spend nearly $4000 for it. I would make an offer, get rejected and then move on and see if he comes back to you later when he is tired of letting it sit. VERY SOFT MARKET right now. Nobody is turning down my offers I know that. I would do it in writing if possible by email. If you do it over the phone he will feel uncomfortable and decline and then not have a way to follow up. If you do it by email, you can convey some firmness on price and why and then send him a nice response when he declines (or maybe he won't) that you would buy it for your price if he can't sell it.

BRYAN, you saw the photos that were on CL - did this car stand out for you? Does it look any better than the average car that's sat outside for 45 years? $3850 is a lot of money for even a cool wagon, when it needs absolutely everything.

Rob

Yes, it was better then average in my opinion and would probably require less rust repair then normal but did need everything as Adam points out.

OK Bryan: I'm not trying to rain on your parade. There are just way too many things that are ominous. Mitch.

Mitch

You are correct I agree. I have never seen a "project" car market like this one. It's like a fire sale (no pun intended). Every car I see that I want and make an offer on, the offer is accepted so I have little time for sellers that have their prices too high and don't communicate well with potential buyers.

Recieved and e-mail from the seller this AM. Car sold locally! That is best for me. I would love to have the car but realistically do not need another project of that magnitude at my age! Wife will be happy also! Have a great Thanksgiving and be thankful for the abundance we enjoy!!!

Also appreciate the input from forum members on the car. Rob you were dead on but some times ones enthusiasm over powers ones sense of being reasonable.

Gary

Indeed. Local sales are interesting. I purchase a 1990 Reatta convertible and a 1973 Limited this summer from local sellers and 99% of it was being there and expressing genuine interest in the cars. I looked 'em in the eye and told them what I would pay for it and they said "well, you are the only one to show up and actually make an offer, so the offer is accepted." Maybe that is what happened with the Caballero.

Guest Rob McDonald

BRYAN, good for you on your success in a depressed old car market.

GARY, I love it when these temptations are snatched from under my nose. Saves me the agony of talking myself out of it or, worse, explaining to wifey if I give in. I had two near misses like that, when I was in Portland recently. Sadly but fortunately, I came home empty handed.

Bryan, do you know if the Caballero is still available? My older son is interested in a project like this one. I went to the ad listed and it was flagged for removal. Do you have any other info on this car? Mark

Mark

Car is sold but I will keep an eye out for you on another one.